OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your opinion of this years season

Started by turkeyfeathers, June 02, 2013, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfeathers

I believe some states seasons are ongoing but a lot are over. What was and is your overall thoughts on this years Spring season?
I personally thought it was the worst gobbling activity year I can remember. Reasons and factors I believe that contributed were: henned up ,had some real warm days, full moon seems to affect birds in my experience ( and yes I realize every month has a full moon ,lol). Had birds ripping 2 of 8 days. Once he hit the ground, gobbled a few times on ground and shut down and guessing he collected his harem. Bird I did kill came in silent And just realized I never got to sit in the rain of my hunts. . Just curious to what you thought of the season.The woods were still just as much fun to hear wake up but gobbles make it a little more fun.  NY here btw.

coyote1

This season was great for me here. Lots of gobbling and bird activity and I hunted the early may season. Last year I hunted late may and had no gobbling, the bird I killed last year came in silent

WV TURKEY THUG

It was a pretty good season for me heard birds everytime I went besides once. There still gobbling here in wv as of Friday. But this year I hunted a lot more than I usually do. I went from 200 lbs to 185 lbs that should say something haha.

earlybird

One of the best seasons in a while here in WV.Had good gobbling for the whole season,early morning or late morning didn't seem to matter.Lots of birds,mostly 2-3yr olds,couple of older birds that ive been after kept hens with them all season but still gobbled good.

DUCKDIGGLER

I would say it was a solid spring here in CT. Gobbling was good and birds were pretty responsive. Weather was a bit cooler than normal, down right cold some mornings but it was relatively dry. I'd call it a 8 on a scale of 10.

turkeyfeathers

Glad you guys had a decent season. Shrug. 333 days til next spring

One of the worst seasons in my area in 10 years.Bad weather,very little gobbling and henned up.On the up side,starting to see a lot of poults with the hens.

Terry

I have mixed feelings. I have never had so many unsuccessful close encounters, but I did hear a lot of gobbles. Seemed like the toms were henned up longer this year. I only filled one out of two tags, but it may have been my more aggressive approach this year. So, I guess some parts of this season were better than others.

TRKYHTR

One of the best I've had. Alot of gobbling and alot of gobblers that came to the call.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

spurman

Where I hunted in Ky there was very little gobbling. I don't know why but gobblers just acted different this spring.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

redarrow

My season was great. Shot a nice tom opening morning. Plenty gobbling.Thats as good as it gets when you only get one tag and don't have the dinero to travel

guesswho

It was about like all the other seasons I've experienced.  Some high's with a few low's mixed in, but overall well worth getting up in the mornings for.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

:turkey:
Quote from: spurman on June 02, 2013, 07:17:48 PM
Where I hunted in Ky there was very little gobbling. I don't know why but gobblers just acted different this spring.
same for me in Southern Illinois and from what I've heard SE Missouri.  I filled both my tags though on two great hunts.  Wish i would have applied for a 3rd Illinois tag.

MAKEemQUIVER

I had a great season, but with that being said it was a tough season when trying to find birds that were alone. We had a late spring here in Ky and birds were henned up all season. We got on a bird the last week of season that still had 7 hens with him.

Cant complain though, filled both my tags and helped a couple others get birds. Cant wait for next season.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

eddie234

It was a good season for me here in marshall co. WV, i was able to get a nice two year old on monday of the last week. I didnt get out as much as id like to have but i was able to call something in everytime i was out except once. Had gobbling everytime i was out. I figured it would be a good year, with last years early greenup and the lack of rain from the year before. Next year should be just as good, its been a pretty mild spring this year to.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2