Has anyone played Halloran Top Shelf Cacklin' Crystal or Woodhaven Vintage Hen

Started by worth612000, January 20, 2014, 10:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: weave on February 15, 2014, 08:27:56 AM
Have one on order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

If its half as good as his crystal mistress your will love it!!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

weave

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on February 15, 2014, 11:58:36 AM
Quote from: weave on February 15, 2014, 08:27:56 AM
Have one on order

If its half as good as his crystal mistress your will love it!!

Ordered that one too ;)

scoot12

Its a little higher pitched then the mistress or sister and a little crisper in sound,  very easy to run and talks softly with ease also.  Scoot

reynolds243

Played one yesterday. Crisp and raspy. If you like the mistress then you will definitely like this one

weave

Thanks for all the feedback.  I hope they sound enough apart that I should have not ordered them both....of course I can always sell one if needed.

TBab

I just picked up the Cacklin Crystal at the NWTF show this weekend at David's booth. I ran them all and the Crystal Mistress and the Cacklin Crystal were my favorites of course but I had to go with the top shelf. I gave my chills. Lol. Im no expert on his calls for it being my first one but you cant go wrong with either. I really liked the way the call played with the Wenge wood striker he has.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

captin_hook

I picked up a cackling crystal at the convention. It sounds great. It kee kees with ease. Definitely my favorite call I have now.

TalknTurkey

Can you guys compare the sound of the Top Shelf to the Twisted Sister? I picked up a Twisted Sister last year and had great success with it. I'm just curious if there's enough difference between the two to have them both in my vest.

rayvond33

Working Class Outdoors
"Working for a Living and Living for the Outdoors"

scoot12

Quote from: TalknTurkey on February 17, 2014, 08:11:12 PM
Can you guys compare the sound of the Top Shelf to the Twisted Sister? I picked up a Twisted Sister last year and had great success with it. I'm just curious if there's enough difference between the two to have them both in my vest.
I have both and in my opinion the cackling crystal is a little higher pitched and not quite as raspy,  they do sound different though,  in my opinion the crystal mistress and twisted sister are closer in sound.  The cacklin crystal has a glass soundboard where the mistress and sister have a slate one.  Scoot

TalknTurkey

Thanks scoot. David has some older videos on his site, I wish he would put a newer one up where he runs the mistress, sister, and cackling. Unfortunately he doesn't come to any shows in my area so I don't have the opportunity to check them out in person first.

TBab

The cacklin crystal is loud. Higher pitched that his slate soundboard calls.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

weave

Quote from: captin_hook on February 17, 2014, 01:56:32 PM
I picked up a cackling crystal at the convention. It sounds great. It kee kees with ease. Definitely my favorite call I have now.

Now that has me really excited for mine to arrive

TalknTurkey

I went ahead and ordered a cackling crystal a couple days ago. I'll share my thoughts on it when it arrives. I may also try to put up a sound file of it and the Twisted Sister so anyone that is considering them can hear the difference between the two.