Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

I hit the lottery!

Started by TrackeySauresRex, February 28, 2015, 11:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

My permits have been awarded  :funnyturkey: let's bring home the hardware!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Glad you did well. I struck out on permits here in FLA, 2nd season in a row.  >:(
Bring home some good ones for the Guns 'N Hoses!!! :policeman: :firefighter: :fud: :turkey:

TrackeySauresRex

^ Yeaaaaa Budddddie!  :icon_thumright: sorry to here you struck out.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WildSpur

Good deal TSR!

RutN--you mean you can't hunt in your own state?  If that's the case that stinks!

Cluck more, yelp less

RutnNStrutn

Wildspur, I can hunt FLA........IF I am lucky enough to find some private land to hunt (which in central FLA is exceedingly difficult and expensive)........OR I can hunt the wide open WMA's that don't require permits. Those WMA's either have low turkey populations, lousy hunting, big crowds of people, or all of the above! In other words, most of them aren't worth hunting, in my opinion.
Fortunately, I've gotten 2 invites for private land for this season, and a friend of mine has experience on an open WMA that has a fair amount of turkeys. So if the private land doesn't pan out, I may spend a day or two with him.
This is the second year in a row that I haven't gotten drawn for a WMA in my own state. Last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't kill an Osceola. The worst part is the state owns, or manages, many tracts of pristine land that are loaded with turkeys. Of course hunters aren't allowed to set foot onto them. ::) But hikers, bikers and equestrians can recreate for free on those lands. They don't have to buy a WMA permit, no parking fee, no daily use permit, nothing! FWC does a lousy job managing "public land".
Then thanks to the NWTF popularizing their Grand Slam, everybody and their brother come to FLA to get an Osceola. The land owners either hunt themselves, don't allow hunting, or lease to all the outfitters that come to FLA to make big money. Very few lease to hunt clubs. Outfitters are charging $1500 to $2000 for one Osceola! :o The land owners know the value of their birds. An average Joe like me cannot afford the ridiculous prices they charge.
The whole situation really makes me mad! >:( :character0029:

Twowithone

That's crazy RutNStrutn down there. Our gamelands are like that here in turkey season and deer season way over populated with hunters that have no choice but to go there. Then you got the trespass stuff on private property it gets messy up here for a bit. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

WildSpur

Wow.  That stinks.   

Cluck more, yelp less

Twowithone

RutnNStrutn that's WildSpur and myself in his avatar. We took that picture after a unsuccessful gobbler hunt but it was fun anyhow. These state parks that WildSpur takes me 2 get hammered early in the season but come 2nd week their petering out and you got thousands of acers to yourself. So when you retire in 2 yrs you better move up here you ll get used to the Winters up here after a couple yrs. :firefighter:

RutnNStrutn

:lol:
I do plan to move north after I retire, but not that far north!! ;D
I'm thinking Tennessee. I might come visit you guys in mid-season after I retire, and let y'all take me out to fight the crowds! ;)

Twowithone

blackmagic

Nice job on the permits.

Rut, you know I'll be employing some "marine" attacks in to some deep dark jungles....you're welcome to come along if it's holding.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks Rey!! I'll get in touch to see when y'all are headed out. :icon_thumright:

Hayudog

Last year didn't draw a single hunt here in California. Just like Rut, private is expensive, or elusive.  Have the wild card option this year, lady to hunt with. They have a few " women's " hunts us boys can tag along. Carry the decoys, call, and shoot.... Maybe. 
Hope to draw.  Hope the turkey "chasers" on a little private piece stay Away. 
My son just picked up a job W Delta airlines. Dad will fly with same benefits he has.  Except I'm retired and have the time. It will definitely open up travel plans. 

Twowithone

Thats a nice perc there Hayudog with the flying yep take advantage of that for sure. :OGturkeyhead:

RutnNStrutn

If you get drawn for FLA, you can fly over here and I'll guide you Doug.