Main Menu

Curious

Started by Bammer, March 25, 2015, 07:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

Did it gobble? Looks like a hen to me.

jbranham63

silvestris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wg9alflbo71cv2/File%20Mar%2017%2C%209%2056%2009%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gobbler feather on left, hen on right.  It is why gobblers look black and hens a little brownish, especially at a distance.

Could be though.  The photos are not the clearest and it is difficult to tell where the end of the feathers are.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mudhen

Uneven tail feathers indicates a jake, so maybe Rosie O'Donnell's brother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

g8rvet

I guess I have never really worried about ground checking one.  I have seen a bearded hen, but never shot one and the jakes I have seen killed were obvious. I had a friend that was a young un hunting with his dad and 2 hens came in.  His dad said "hens" and my friend shot.  His dad started getting on his arse for shooting. He said "Dad, it was a jake, I could see the spurs".  Sure enough, there were spurs and a tiny beard.  His dad explained hens can sometimes have spurs so look for a beard! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bammer

The bird is laying chest down in both pics. Never heard a gobble but that doesn't mean much because my hearing is bad. 

Rapscallion Vermilion

Looks like a bearded hen.   Did you clean it up yet?   If you find eggs, you have no doubt.  Save those wings for a wingbone if it is a hen.

owlhoot

Bearded hen , buffed feathers , don't look like a jake fan all spread out?

Head doesn't look like a toms at all.

Youngturkey

Last year i killed a gobbler with 9 1/4 inch beard and no Spurs he was strutting and gobbling. I was wondering the same thing. Only think I can come up with is that it's a genetic issue.

taylorjones20

Bearded hen for sure.  Tail fan spread out is even in first pic.  Grey head... A buddy of mine killed one a few years ago.  Looks just like this one...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

jblackburn

looks like a bearded hen to me. buff tipped feathers on its back, a gobbler would have black.  Cut it open and see if there are eggs in it.

Congrats, though.  Hope that's legal in your state, not every state allows bearded hens to be killed . . .
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Marc

How big was the bird?  Size of an average jake or the size of a hen?

Looking at the plumbing would have told you what sex it was, but i am guessing it is a bit late now...

It looks like a jake to me, and enlarging the pictures you provided, it does not look like the feathers extend up the neck as they do with a hen...  Unfortunately, when I blow up the picture, I am not getting the best image quality...

Interestingly, I was not aware that all hen tail feathers grew in evenly...  I never really thought about it, but I just assumed that a young hen would have uneven tail feathers just as a jake does...  The tail feathers do look a bit uneven to me though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

turkey_slayer

That's a Bruce Jenner turkey

GobbleNut

If I had to bet my life on it, I would say that it is a bearded hen, as well.  However, I wouldn't be entirely confident that I was safe to live another day.   ;D