Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

My season in question....

Started by Yoder409, April 29, 2024, 09:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Not sure who may know and who may not.  But I have some pretty severe lower back issues.  Been dealing with it since 2006.  Finally caught up to me again early 2022 and basically forced me to retire 13 months ago.

I have tolerable days.  I have bad days.  I have lousy days.  Been having some bad days lately and the way.....at least my early season....is gonna look, is in question.

My hunting area is slap LOADED with gobbling birds this year.  Mobility....getting TO them....is going to be questionable.   I'm hoping and praying I can get the nose pulled up on this within the next several days.  But, there's never any guarantees.

The ONE guarantee is this.  I will be hunting.  But it may be a much more low-impact style than is typically "me".  I freakin' HATE blinds !!!  I don't like decoys.  And I purely DESPISE having to hunt from one location.  But, if it comes down to those.......or not hunting at all.........well.......

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

I feel for you, back issues as well. I tailor my hunts on big timber tracts to suit my current capacity but nothing more frustrating than hearing a bird sound off a ridge away knowing getting there is not in the cards.

Knowing you, you're gonna get it done one way or another before its over! That's a safe bet.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

hunter85

As I read this I am sitting in my recliner two and a half hour home after a three level lower back surgery. I understand the making the hunt any way how. I hurt my back in Feb of 22' and thought I got that put behind me and in Oct of 23' it started as tingle in my right SI joint that had me so bad I couldn't walk a walk a week later. It put me out of work for three months and four injections in my spine and intensive Pt got me back to walking. I went back to work Jan 3 wether I could do it or not with a surgery date of Feb 5th. Turkey season for me started Mar 16 but surgery got canceled. I forced myself though the season definitely didn't hunt the way I liked as much as I liked and pushed myself on some days where I couldn't hunt the next but made it all the way through and had a good season even considering I had a miss and no harvest. But would have hated if I didn't make myself go through the season. But as I'm sitting here I will say I'm in less pain after surgery than I was sitting in preop and the first time in two years that I have been able to relax and my right leg not throbbing and feeling like I'm kicking a can down the road. I hope you are able to find relief in your issues and the best of luck on your hunts, it may hurt and you will have to find the speed that you can hunt but you will be proud you did it.

Tom007

Right with you Don. I know your pain, probably not as bad as you though. Played too much hockey all my life, back took a beating. I pray you get out there. Good luck, go get em!
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Hope your able to get out Don, I am sure your Amish buddies could rig up a cart for you! Horse and recliner buggy!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Quote from: JeffC on April 30, 2024, 07:52:29 AMHope your able to get out Don, I am sure your Amish buddies could rig up a cart for you! Horse and recliner buggy!!

:TooFunny:

I only have ONE use for horses......

They make good dogfood.    :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zsully

Bummer Yoder! I hope your luck changes and you can get out there on Saturday!

a_jabbo

Sending positive vibes, Yoder. Hope your back feels good enough for some good hunts in the coming weeks.