Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moved PG .570 to my backup and screwed in the SSX...

Started by msgobblergetter, March 10, 2011, 11:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msgobblergetter

Guys, I did a little shooting at 40 with the 1187 20ga 26"bbl today... Never got a chance to really test my SSX .550 last year because I purchased it late in the game.  Last season, the 1187 with PG .570 averaged mid 160's with H13 7's with temps in the upper 60's.  I was happy with this and quit patterning for the year.

Today I put the SSX in and fired four shells...

Results:
shot 1: 178
shot 2: 169
shot 3: 171
shot 4: 184

Bore snaked between shots.

I'm a stickler for a even pattern at 40 and the SSX  did just that with 10" numbers being higher as well.  Much more even than the PG .555 I tested last year and returned for the PG .570.  Since temps were low to mid 50's winds at 10-15mph today, I'm betting that conditions will be similar for Saturday's opener.  So, the SSX is staying on the 1187 for now and the PG .570 is going to the 870 backup.  Still love the even hunting pattern I get with the PG, I'm just sold on this SSX.

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

darron

I went with the ssx after hearing all the good reviews. I was impressed with it shooting in sub par conditions (march and 40 degrees). I am getting 150-155 in a 10" circle at 40. I have yet to try it yet in better conditions. I thought 150 was good, so if it improves with weather so be it.

drum817

I just got a SSX for my daughters boyfriend's 20ga. Charles Daly.  I'm gonna pattern it with Hevi-13 #7's next week.  He didn't have a lot of money to spend on a choke so after reading about folks having good luck with it...I decided on the SSX.  I'll put up some pics next week.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

shootumindaface

MS the more and more I shoot that little  choke the more and more I love it.. From Feds to H 13 to Nitros it is the one choke that give you a chance between these three very different shells..

msgobblergetter

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 11, 2011, 08:54:37 AM
MS the more and more I shoot that little  choke the more and more I love it.. From Feds to H 13 to Nitros it is the one choke that give you a chance between these three very different shells..

H13 and Dunns 7.5's are the only loads I've shot through the SSX so far.  I haven't made the jump to nitros or feds yet.  Don't plan too unless h13 goes away, but its nice to know there are others out there who have tested all types of load combinations with the SSX and have had good consistent results.  I'm thinking the SSX may end up being the best bang for your buck at this point.

msgobblergetter

Quote from: drum817 on March 11, 2011, 08:43:08 AM
I just got a SSX for my daughters boyfriend's 20ga. Charles Daly.  I'm gonna pattern it with Hevi-13 #7's next week.  He didn't have a lot of money to spend on a choke so after reading about folks having good luck with it...I decided on the SSX.  I'll put up some pics next week.

Heck yeah... Post some pics if you can.  I couldn't get my wife's camera to focus right for may SSX patterns.

S.C.C

Fellows,may want to check an make sure your choke is seating on the skirt and not on the
outside of the bbl.
MS,good #'s to my friend!! :icon_thumright:

msgobblergetter

Quote from: S.C.C on March 12, 2011, 05:52:40 AM
Fellows,may want to check an make sure your choke is seating on the skirt and not on the
outside of the bbl.

SCC,
Do you know something I'm not aware of?  Whats the scoop on this?

S.C.C

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 13, 2011, 01:50:44 AM
Quote from: S.C.C on March 12, 2011, 05:52:40 AM
outside of the bbl.

SCC,
Do you know something I'm not aware of?  Whats the scoop on this?
Check your's and see were its seating...It may or maynot hurt the guns,but I would rather chokes
seat on the skirt like they a suppose to!!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase