OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single 20 ga project -

Started by Hayudog, January 18, 2013, 06:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

The 20 ga Baikal project is completed.  Actually its been done since late November.  It all started last year when I saw the Savage 220 project gun that Gadget runs.  I acquired 2 Savage 220's and a couple of the Baikal 20's.  One youth model and a Remington SPR100 (made by Baikal) both 20's.

Watched as Gobblergls put up all the play by plays last year on his project guns.  The painting, barrel work, and sling, and kick pads.  Added a few posts and a few pictures as I did mine.  With duck season coming to a close, its time to put on my turkey hat and its time to give credit to those that helped me through this project.

Here is a picture of the Savage 220 and Remington Baikal.  As Gil once said, I'm finding it hard to go after the Old Savage as a project gun.  Maybe someday.

I used the same technique as Gobblergls did for the camo painting.  Used layered blue tape and cut patterns for the camo.  The turkey patterns were negitive patterns, same blue tape, rattle can black. 

Added a Limb Saver kick pad and a Burris FFIII.  Put on the sling mounts, Uncle Mikes.
William at Sumtoy did the choke work and the mounting of the Burris.  He used a Burris Fastfire Marlin 336 base.  Asked him to put a choke that would best suit TTS shot.  Must say, he did nice work. 

First shot out of the gun it ran this pattern.  Used my laser range finder for the 35 yard mark.  My guess it will hold for a true 40 yard pattern.  Federal Heavyweight Turkey, #7, 1 1/2 oz.  194 hits in the 10 inch ring.  Moved the red dot to the center of the pattern, one more $4 shell to check its zero now. 

Next photo of the gun is I hope, with Tom.  My guess it will be with a Junior, as they get the first try at the birds half way thru March.  "Put the red dot at the base of his head and shoot!" I started the twenty project as a kids gun project.  A few of the youngsters missed last year.  Seems now that it has taken on its own life. When I pack a shotgun this year it will be this one.   

gobblergls

Doug, Great job.  The stenciled turkeys add a custom touch as well as the camo pattern.  It turned out fine.  Shot pattern looks mighty good.  That ole' Savage looks good, too.  Gil

savduck

Pretty impressive. love those even spreads on those Sumtoys.
Georgia Boy

surehuntsalot

sweet looking rig
it ought to get the job done
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

old frank

Very Nice!

I love the 20ga and have never shot a turkey twice so a single shot project seems like a good idea.

headshot870

Nice! Hope you put lots of turkey killin' mojo on her this season.

Be safe,
Nathan

gobblergls

Doug, how'd it do at 40 yds? Gil

Hayudog

Finally ran it on the pattern board.  Federal HW 7's Sumtoy 562-5 at 40 yards.  I have some TSS 9's I plan to roll up.
I'm not sure why it fell off so much from the 35 yard target posted earlier.  Ran both ranges with my range finder.  HMM.

This was last years HW that I had. 129 in 10" at 40 yards

This years Federal HW 7's.  146 in 10" at 40 yards

savduck

Thats interesting that he 3V lot shot that low. Thats more like a 3U lot number pattern. It will get the job done though. All those patterns look great. Congrats on that fine little rig. Sumtoy builds a nice choke.
Georgia Boy

bushwhacker

I was at my local pawn shop today and found a Baikal 20 gauge with screw in chokes and vent rib 26 inch barrel and sling studs for $150. Is this a decent deal? I really want a single shot and this one is already threaded so that's worth something. It also has a nickel receiver.

killdee

Seems like some of the guys on here were buying a Baikal 20 gauge from Cheaper than dirt new for just over a 100$. The 1 your looking at may be a different model but for a turkey gun their hard to beat.

BTW fine looking job on your guns Hayudog, dont worry bout your pattern, when you run some of that TSS you'll throw all your factory stuff in the creek. You are wearing me out on the 220's, I cant find a decent 1 anywhere myself.