OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

As 12ga goes, anything out there now better than a benelli Nova or Supernove?

Started by DMTJAGER, May 05, 2024, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

Had a friend at work ask for my recommendation for a new 12ga 3" or 3.5" shotgun, which ever can be had at the the better price. He will use it for a dedicated turkey gun. He doesn't plan on equipping it with an optic. He has absolutely no interest at this time in using TSS turkey shells. His budget is must be under $600

I said all I can recommend then is what I own and the last pump shotgun I bought was a Benelli Supernova and after my sons and I used it for the last 6-7 turkey seasons, I have been satisfied with it beyond all expectations.

At well under $600 I do not see how you can beat a Benelli Supernova, save for possibly a Mossberg 500 or 835 and I do own an 835 but would recommend the Benelli over it.

Experienced based opinions please.

Loyalist84

I've handled and patterned the Benelli pump guns - I find them to have a grating action, they kick severely and have a wonky balance point and the foregrip is set fairly far forward compared to other shotguns. Not disputing that they may be a hell-or-high-water robust firearm, but I'm glad I don't have to get behind one. Perhaps someone with a larger frame wouldn't have those issues, but for that price point I would hold on for a sale on a Browning BPS if buying new is an absolute necessity.

mdmitchell

Convince him to go TSS and do 20 and get this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048820813

That optic cut out and mount is badass. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this from other manufacturers soon.

DMTJAGER

Quote from: mdmitchell on May 05, 2024, 06:11:44 PMConvince him to go TSS and do 20 and get this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048820813

That optic cut out and mount is badass. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this from other manufacturers soon.
Thank you for the wise suggestions.
I did recommend he try a 20ga and TSS AND an optic and he expressed ZERO interest in any of the three and is set on a 12ga and standard lead turkey shells and lastly a pump gun.

Upon reflection, I will likely recommend as strongly as I can if he can find a synthetic stocked 12ga BPS at $600 to buy it, as he is in no hurry to buy.

Greg Massey

If he's set on wanting a 12 pump I would recommend him getting one of the NEW Remington Fieldmaster pumps.. That way he will have more options for add-ons in the future... If I were buying one for myself I would buy this gun also..

b wilt

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 05, 2024, 08:43:07 PMIf he's set on wanting a 12 pump I would recommend him getting one of the NEW Remington Fieldmaster pumps.. That way he will have more options for add-ons in the future... If I were buying one for myself I would buy this gun also..
Second This.

Ihuntoldschool

They're tough. Built like a tank, rarely break .  The Nova is unique in that the stock is part of the receiver. Some like that some don't. If you somehow needed to replace the stock you'd need a new gun. They shoot straight but usually high.
They're heavy to carry.
Some people tend to short stroke them ( gun fit/ build stature of the shooter). They rattle alot, might concern him might not. 

He needs to handle some guns for himself see what fits HIM and his preferences. 

Bottomland OG

Quote from: b wilt on May 05, 2024, 09:03:50 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 05, 2024, 08:43:07 PMIf he's set on wanting a 12 pump I would recommend him getting one of the NEW Remington Fieldmaster pumps.. That way he will have more options for add-ons in the future... If I were buying one for myself I would buy this gun also..
Second This.

I third this. Hard to beat. For a pump gun.

hunter85

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-sxp-nwtf-turkey-hunter-pump-action-shotgun
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-sxp-long-beard-pump-action-shotgun-with-interchangeable-comb-pieces

My buddy got one of these winchester Sxp and it seems to be a fine shotgun. They come with adjustable sights and his was tapped for an optic, I know he said that that doesn't interest your friend but it is still nice to have the option.

ChesterCopperpot

I'd personally consider one of the lower end autos, like a CZ 1012 or a Stoeger M3500 (or the 3000 if he doesn't need 3.5" shells). The 1012 is just a 3" gun but in my opinion there's no reason to be shooting 3.5" anymore. My gripe with the nova and supernova was always that the forend felt like a brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b wilt

Quote from: hunter85 on May 06, 2024, 08:01:48 AMhttps://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-sxp-nwtf-turkey-hunter-pump-action-shotgun
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winchester-sxp-long-beard-pump-action-shotgun-with-interchangeable-comb-pieces

My buddy got one of these winchester Sxp and it seems to be a fine shotgun. They come with adjustable sights and his was tapped for an optic, I know he said that that doesn't interest your friend but it is still nice to have the option.
My nephew has the Winchester, it is a nice gun and would be my second choice after a 870.  Remington has updated the sps turkey with a 21 inch barrel and camo. much nicer than their express turkey pre bankruptcy.

Ridge Rooster

He want go wrong with a Super Nova.  I don't like the fact that the regular Nova has is made where you cannot change butt stock but may not matter to him. 

Like others suggested the 835 and 870 are great guns also.  As is the BPS.  I own all the above.  Have not tried the SXP's but they look like a great option especially the turkey models.  Looks like they come from the factory set up and ready to go.  Have heard their triggers are heavy but most are in the pumps and Auto's.  There are trigger fixes out there for most.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

DMTJAGER

"My nephew has the Winchester, it is a nice gun and would be my second choice after a 870.  Remington has updated the sps turkey with a 21 inch barrel and camo. much nicer than their express turkey pre bankruptcy"

That is one shotgun I forgot (how I did I'll never know as I own two 870 Wingmasters and two 870 Express shotguns) to recommend but will now.
I can not even begin to estimate how many combined total rounds have been fired from my 870's but it is absolutely in the many many of thousands as I for years shot skeet and pheasant hunted.
I guess because the Wingmaster went out of production long ago I went full on pistol grip 12ga 3,5" for all my turkey guns I kida forgot about the the 870.

jhoward11

The Benelli is a good gun, and I used it for several years, but it was a little to long for run and gun in the woods, and without optics, it took a lot of practice to get things sighted in, and it just got to feeling a little wonky (best way to describe). Loosy goosy, paint coming off, felt like if you were to shake it real hard something would fall off. I switched to the 835 with WLB 3" #5 and a .676 heavy choke (other chokes makers will work in this range). Throws great patterns, but be careful of under 20 yards. It's like throwing a softball at them, the pattern is so good. May try #6 instead or a little more open choke.

soILstrutter

I have an 870 supermag manufactured in the early 2010's. I know its no wingmaster, and I know people gripe about those years, but the gun flat out shoots a great pattern with a LB choke and 3 1/2" 5's. It has a 26" barrel, and has been extremely reliable for the last 10 years. For a while it was my do-everything gun: trap, doves, waterfowl, turkeys. Now it has a FF3 mounted and is my dedicated turkey gun. It has fired a ton of shells and keeps on performing flawlessly. I have held the nova and supernova and they seemed big and clunky to me. I have owned a synthetic turkey Mossberg 535 and it felt like a cheap plastic toy so I quickly sold it for this 870. Just my personal preference, but an 870 will be hard to beat.