turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Woodhaven Legend slate call review

Started by spiggy2, December 24, 2014, 03:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiggy2

Anyone have any experience with this call? I've read some reviews on it and want to know if its good call. Just looking for a good slate call and if you have any other suggestions for a slate call, then I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

sbbow

Lonnie Sneed's hot hen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbird

It's your average slate call but with woodhaven logo. For the money they want for one you can get a slate of better quality. I had one for a minute and sold it, but it's all in preference. Good luck

worth612000

Check out the turkey call sound file section for different calls, you may find a sound you like. I prefer their cherry slate better.

spiggy2

Thanks for the responses! I'll keep you posted
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

gobbler336

The legend is a very raspy slate, the cherry is a higher pitched and less raspy but neither are avg.

worth612000

I do prefer the higher pitch calls. And have the cherry slate, crystal and Vision Crystal. Have taken a lot of birds with them. I didn't mean I don't like the legend slate, it's just my preference.

spiggy2

Worth612000 I have the Chery crystal and like it. I'm curious as to what striker you run with it.

worth612000

Quote from: spiggy2 on December 28, 2014, 10:14:51 PM
Worth612000 I have the Chery crystal and like it. I'm curious as to what striker you run with it.

I like using the small flare tip strikers such as made by Lon Trice and Wendell's  (Lights Out Calls) in  Dymondwood, and purpleheart, Woodhaven  laminated birch flare tip and monkey wood.  I have a few rounded tip strikers that are very good, not really sure why some are better than the others when they can be the same wood.

spiggy2

Quote from: worth612000 on December 28, 2014, 11:14:00 PM
Quote from: spiggy2 on December 28, 2014, 10:14:51 PM

I like using the small flare tip strikers such as made by Lon Trice and Wendell's  (Lights Out Calls) in  Dymondwood, and purpleheart, Woodhaven  laminated birch flare tip and monkey wood.  I have a few rounded tip strikers that are very good, not really sure why some are better than the others when they can be the same wood.
Alright thanks. I will have to check them out!

Chris Downs

I used to love the legend slate. Deep and raspy, it was a great compliment to a cherry Crystal. But prices have gone up on all Woodhaven calls. Still great calls but as others have said, you can get the same or better for less.

My personal preference is Sadler Mcgraw's Champion's Choice line. Great pots for less.

spiggy2

Quote from: Chris Downs on January 03, 2015, 01:42:36 AM
I used to love the legend slate. Deep and raspy, it was a great compliment to a cherry Crystal. But prices have gone up on all Woodhaven calls. Still great calls but as others have said, you can get the same or better for less.

My personal preference is Sadler Mcgraw's Champion's Choice line. Great pots for less.
Planning on buying one of his crystal calls! They sound great

Stump.270

You can't wrong with the lonzo birds eye maple or zebra wood slate and I just got a Sadler slate that's bad to the bone the hot hen is good too lonnie is a nice man that has a lot!! Of time in the woods david holloran laminate slate is good I have found that fowler rosewood and hickory are the best on slate surface if I had to pick its a split between lonzo and Sadler they have that yelp like a crystal call that I love I hope this helps

Tail Feathers

I bought a crystal Woodhaven a few years ago.  It went flat and I just couldn't get a good tone out of it.  I sent it in to Woodhaven and Mike Pentecost autographed it and one of his staffers handpicked one for me.  It's a great call.
With that kind of customer service, they are worth a try.  Lots of good custom pots out there too but Woodhaven impressed me with their service.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

spiggy2

I decided to hold off on a slate call, and went with Sadler's Crystal Hybrid call. Sounded to good not to have one. Thanks for the suggestions, will make for a hard decision when the time comes!