turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

7.5 at 1075 fps

Started by terp, March 20, 2018, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terp

Do you think I could use a low recoil 7.5 round out to 25 yards provided the patterns hold up?   My daughter is very recoil shy and I bought some fiocchi low recoil for her to practice with.   the box says 1075 fps and it patterned better then the regular low brass 6s and 7.5s.   

bbcoach

Bill Cooksey

1075 lead 7.5 will be fine at 25 yards assuming the pattern is adequate.

terp

Thanks! it is a 20 gauge, I will double check the pattern at 25

pittboss

You might want to consider using  Hev 13 #7 shot. Very low recoil at 1090 fps. Very deadly load with the right choke.
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

born2hunt

I had my youngest daughter shoot her first bird with a high brass 7.5 and it flat smashed him at around 20 yards, even broke wing bones. At that point, I was more concerned with having a forgiving pattern so she wouldn't miss then I was recoil. But like Pittboss mentioned, Hevi 13 6s or 7s in 2.75 are very light recoil and will give that extra little punch over lead if needed. My kids 20 shoots a very huntable yet kid friendly pattern out to 35 with 2.75 6s out of a factory full choke.

But yes, a good 7.5 lead will kill them all day long if the pattern is good and distance is reasonable .
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

stinkpickle

They're good for as far as the pattern holds up.

surehuntsalot

a # 7-1/2 will take one out to 30 yds with no problem as long as the pattern is good
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

terp

blake_08

You could always have her practice with 7.5 shot low brass and make sure she is comfortable shooting the gun. Then, when it comes time to hunt, slip a hevi 13 2.75 in the chamber. She'll never feel the recoil shooting at a tom and you'll have the extra confidence in the load. Good luck