turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me pick a new custom call

Started by mcgruff1533, August 07, 2011, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

I currently own 3 custom calls, and like a true addict, I have 3 more picked out to have built.

My collection so far consists of the following calls:

1.  Zebrawood pot with Slate surface and glass soundboard.   The striker is Cherry with a Bocote inlay made by Andy at AJ Calls.     Great call for spooky birds, very subtle and soft.

2.  Bubinga pot with Aluminum surface and glass soundboard.    The striker is Dymondwood and is made by Wendell at Light's Out Calls.     Awesome raspy tone and can be VERY loud if needed.

3.  Laminated Canarywood and Yellowheart with Bubinga pot, Ceramic surface and glass soundboard with a Canarywood striker.    Nice sound capable of being somewhat raspy and quiet depending on striker pressure and stroke.   

I'm considering having the following calls built, but can't decide where to begin.

1.  Buckeye Burl pot with a glass surface

2.  Macassar Ebony pot with Titanium surface

3.  Wenge or Bocote pot with Copper surface.

Which new call will complement my existing calls the best?

drenalinld

I can't decide either. Better just get all three. :you_rock:

merocustomcalls

I agree, it would be more fun to have all three.

mcgruff1533

I will have all three eventually... I just can't decide which of them to have built next.

You guys are no help at all :TooFunny:

drenalinld

I would suggest this order of priority based solely on my perception of most significantly different and hopefully complimentary to what you have.

1 - glass
2 - copper
3 - titanium

I also have a zebrawood slate that is very good for the soft subtle stuff, but will also crank it up when you want to! I would love to see pics of the three you have!

pappy

As for making a decision only you can do that as you are the guy forking out the dough and using the calls. Me, I would hang in there with what you are accustomed to. So far you have quiet, raspy and loud.....if you were to go with something different it would have to be a higher pitched call that would reach out there, I would say glass is the key or crystal over glass. I would also say you would be better off choosing a harder wood then the Buckeye Burl unless it has been stabilized. As softer woods tend to muffle sound. I would suggest a good cherry or cocobola or a rosewood, if you are not allergic. Most likely a 3 - 1/4" striking surface with a couple strikers that would match the pot call and what you are looking for in sounds.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mcgruff1533

Thanks for the input Pappy!    I'm not sure if Buckeye Burl is the best wood for a crystal surface, but boy are those calls nice looking when finished.

Do most call makers stabilize Buckeye Burl before shipping them out?

chatterbox

I have a glass call by Andy Kaiser. It's glass over purpleheart in a curly maple pot with a purpleheart striker. This is my go-to call, and one of my favorites. Check out www.kaiserkalls.com and see what he's got. Andy is a super great guy, and a great call maker as are alot of the guys here. Whatever one you choose, I don't think you can go wrong.

pappy

I agree about the buckeye burled pots being killers on the eyes! The only stabilized I have seen has come off of ebay, I have used some twice before, it is ok to turn, you just have to have super sharp chisels. It takes a great finish too.
tel...573-380-8206

mcgruff1533

So in order to get a stabilized call, should I have the call builder set aside a piece of burl for 6-12 months before the actual call building begins?

misfire

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on August 08, 2011, 11:09:11 AM
So in order to get a stabilized call, should I have the call builder set aside a piece of burl for 6-12 months before the actual call building begins?

Not really, once it is stabilized and dry, it is ready to turn. I have a few pieces left, never had it stabilized. There is added cost involved, but it sho is purdy either way you go
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

pappy

Yep, the thing about stabilized wood is that it is more costly then regular nonstabilized woods. The thing about buckeye burl is that it is so soft, now if it sitting in the shop, dry, you can send it off to be stabilized ... http://www.stabilizedwood.com/
these people are the best at it in my books. But again, they are costly, just depends on what you want invested in a call.
tel...573-380-8206

mcgruff1533

Thanks for the info Jack!    I'm guessing since I'm looking at having a crystal surface installed in the Burl pot, it will absolutely need to be stabilized.    I can only imagine just a little warping will cause the crystal surface to crack.

No sense in building a call half-assed only to have it crack or warp 6 months down the road.     

pappy

Absolutely right! That is another back set with burl woods. Especially if they have a wide range of density like buckeye. Causes a different drying action that could take months to set. I think you'll like the folks at the site I sent you.
tel...573-380-8206