OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Have you used Ray Eye's Johnson Mountain University?

Started by rblake, June 20, 2016, 01:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

Ihuntoldschool

The more realistic your calling sounds and the more you rely on calling to kill birds, the more important calling is.  If you decoy your birds in then calling is not that important, the result will likely be the same with or without calling. 

M Sharpe

Just out of curiosity, and I've seen folks here comment about the clothing he wears, when did folks start wearing camo clothing to hunt in?? Camo clothing is a relatively new concept to turkey hunting, all hunting as far as that goes. Even the military didn't start using camo clothing until the late 60's. The use of natural camo has been around since the beginning of time. Look at what the old timers used to wear. Many looked like they were going to church. They took advantage of their surroundings and made use of natural blinds.

As for busting the man's call for his style of calling....if it sounds turkey, it is turkey. Meaning, if he is frightening gobblers with his load calling, then you be the real thing and call the way a real turkey does! From what I've heard, Ben Lee called the same way.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Hooksnhorns

I like watchin his videos. And, on the whole "call busting" deal, if a man ever busts one of my calls intentionally, he better have his lunch packed.
Don't Tread On Me

owlhoot

With the turkey gobbling their heads off, why not call that?  private ground your on an they respond like that i would crack them calls right back back at them.
Public ground then every fool with a call or decoy is heading that way , running and gunning into your setup. Not good.
Ray is a good hunter and teacher of the sport .
And as Hooksnhorns said  about call breaking , PACK A LUNCH plus your in for a long day!

Double B

I listened to 3 cassette tapes alot when I was green and learning and they were Ray Eye, Tom Stuckey and Ben Lee.  Then I'd go hunting and see how it really works.  Now we have it all at our fingers.      About the call busting...... I have absolutely cranked up a call on public,  and then carried a gobbler out a few minutes later, more than once.   And hens where i hunt crank it up too, early, mid morning, etc.   Sounds like lots of folks are hunting in tiny public locales, kind of like Chris Farley fat guy in a little coat.  Maybe try a little further out in the hinterlands if you can, it's a lot less frustrating..........
Followed by buzzards

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: fallhnt on June 25, 2016, 02:43:44 PM
I enjoy talking to Ray when I see him at shows. He has done more for the sport than all of us put together on this site and I doubt any of us keyboard experts can come close to his ability.

Lol. Remember for every well known so called pro hunter , there is a local country boy that could give him a run for their money. Nothing against ray eye , but the statement of how much he has done for turkey hunting compared to other folks you know nothing of is absurd.i like ray and think that hes a good hunter , but i dont think that he is a turkey god.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE