turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to look for on public land.

Started by deerbasshunter3, January 31, 2017, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I am going out tomorrow morning to check out a few spots that I found on public land. What are some key things that I should be looking for to really pin down a good spot, or spots, to hunt come April?

g8rvet

At this point, for me anyways, looking for roosting locations and getting familiar with the lay of the land, especially likely places for hangups (like fences, creeks, etc).  I don't think I learn that much about their movements and likely locations until closer to the spring. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Double B

Right now check for scratched up leaves and sign in timber, droppings, etc.  Glass fields to find gobbler groups.  Closer to spring, get out predawn and listen.  Go with the best population numbers, considering other factors including pressure.  I'd rather have one hot gobbler all to myself than a half dozen racking off with 3 trucks in the parking area.  Be careful on opening weekend!  Also, late season can be really good, hunters and hens both give up by then. 
Followed by buzzards

catman529

Learn the land, such as terrain, ditches, creeks, slight rises that could conceal a bird from view, fences they can get hung up on, property lines, places that look good to roost... Also look on google earth at surrounding properties so you get an idea of what is beyond the boundary since turkeys don't know any different.  There may be a cut corn field that is private and has a lot of turkeys in the area, and you may be able to find a gobbler nearby that you can call across the line... if there's no fence for him to hang up on.

Oh, and the more area you know, the better. since you will likely have company at some point, or someone else working the same gobbler.

houagie

Im fairly new to turkey hunting (6 years now) but ive found that turkeys like 4 major habitats.

1.  Water - Find a source of water like a stream or pond in the area.
2.  Mature trees - Preferably oak because they eat the mast and need roosting trees.
3.  Strutting areas - Like agricultural fields or open areas inside the forrest.
4.  Sloping terrain - To roost out of the wind on windy nights.

Target areas that have all 4 of these habitats within reasonable distance from one another and your sure to find turkeys.  This tactic has not failed me yet when it comes to scouting.  Try it out.

MK M GOBL

So my scouting involves a few things.

1. Learn the lay of the land, walking it and I use some Google Maps too
2. Know where the roost and strut zones are within you hunting area
3. Listen for them, I use about 3 weeks of info before the season opener
4. Look, I use binos and the truck a lot here where I can

Have used this wherever I hunt and has proved to be very effective, sometimes I have a few days worth "in the field" of info on a trip but will do the google thing save some spots to look at on the GPS and scout from there.

MK M GOBL

slwayne

All good advice so far.  I hunt public land almost exclusively and I always try to find a number of promising spots that are well off the beaten path.  Once you have identified a few different spots I would concentrate on learning the way(s) into those spots like the back of your hand.  Keep in mind that you will be scouting and finding these spots in daylight but once the season starts you will be trying to find them in the dark of night.  We all know how easy it is to get turned around in the dark.  You want to be able to get in there as efficiently and quietly as you can.

ilbucksndux

Exactly what others have already said. The biggest thing to look for is boot tracks .Right now go out and learn the lay of the land. That way you know where the creeks ditches, cliffs hills and hollers are. You will have a good idea from walking it now where they will be. You might even find were they are(or have been) roosting. A couple weeks before season go back to the woods and listen DONT STOMP AROUND IN THE WOODS at this time. Walk a log road trail ect before they fly down . Know where several birds are so if you get to spot A on opening day and there is a truck there you can move on. I have got down to plan D before and walked out of the woods with a Tom. If I had only scouted that one place I would have had to compete with others
Gary Bartlow

Marc

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 31, 2017, 01:13:57 PM
I am going out tomorrow morning to check out a few spots that I found on public land. What are some key things that I should be looking for to really pin down a good spot, or spots, to hunt come April?
First and foremost, I would look for turkeys. ;D
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

quavers59

Look for good nesting areas for the hens. Any open or grassy area where poults can get into insects. Hens will nest near these areas and gobblers know it and wont be far.

GobbleNut

For me, there is "macro" scouting,...and there is "micro" scouting.  The very first thing I do is look at the area on Google Earth or one of the other aerial map sources on the internet.  I then make printed copies of the area, mark the boundaries of the public area, including boundaries of private properties within the public area boundaries, and mark the road and trail systems. 

I then note anything I can see on the aerial map that to me means "turkeys".  Such things as creek courses, developed agriculture, ridges and bottoms that would allow for good vantage points for hearing gobbling or visible spotting of turkeys are all noted.  With the road and trail system noted, and the areas of specific interest noted, I will then calculate the best method of confirmation of turkey presence that will be the most efficient.

I rarely have time to scout such areas because of distance away from where I live, so I know that my on-site scouting time will likely be no more than one day in advance of when I will start hunting.  When I arrive on-site, I focus on two things.  If it is during the day, I will cover as much country as I can by vehicle to verify my "macro" aerial-mapping reconnaissance. I will verify the likelihood of turkeys along the creeks and along the agriculture developments, noting such things as types of crops in the fields and whether there are roosting areas adjacent to these fields (a combination of a creek bottom, a nearby food crop, and roosting sites is almost a slam dunk that turkeys will be there). 

I will note the presence of other hunters or evidence of such, including checking trail-heads for signs of much use.  A heavily used trail usually is a sure sign that there are turkeys about,...but it also may mean that they have been hammered by hunters.  A lightly used trail may be a sign of few turkeys being there,...but also may mean that an area has been overlooked, especially if the map features look promising.  In those cases, the only way to find out is generally to go on a hike and take a look. 

My "micro" confirmation includes the verification of signs of turkeys during the day,...but the primary element I use for really pinning things down is the use of locator calls, both in the morning and evening, and covering as much country as I can at first and last light.  Locators work better in some places than in others, particularly in the evening hours.  There are places where evening gobbling is rare, and others where it is very reliable.  Pre-dawn responses to a good, loud locator have been reliable everywhere I have hunted,...but, again, better in some places than in others.  The bottom line, in my opinion, is that anybody that hunts an unfamiliar area of significant size is "missing the boat" if they are not using a good locator call to find gobblers on the roost.   

Now, if you have time prior to the season (a week or two) to do the above,...and there are turkeys on the public land,...you should find them.  If there are many turkeys around, you should be able to locate several areas with birds, which is important in that you need to be able to move around in case other hunters beat you to a spot.