OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins Longbox

Started by Coop1082, January 20, 2018, 10:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

To start this years UNICOI trip got thrown sideways due to the flu hitting our house and putting myself and my son into bad shape! However with great friends like Sixbird and Clardh not all was lost! I called Marlin early last week and asked him to put a few calls back for me preferably a servicberry longbox. When Sixbird and Clardh arrived at UNICOI they ran the ones he had stuffed back and sent me soundfiles to help aid in my decision and this is what I ended up with. This beauty is Serviceberry over Walnut and she is a certified player. I can't say thank you enough to Marlin, Glenn, and Doug! I can't wait to get this thing out this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Coop1082

Thanks Mr. Mike! Your soundfile certainly played its part too. The servicberry is everything and more than I excepted!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

3bailey3

Very nice I love the one I just got!

kwild835

gergg

I don't really hunt with a box call, but I love to build them and play them.... so I sat around Marlin''s table while guys were running his boxes, man they all sounded awesome, so I'm sure this one is a sweet talker too...congrats!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Coop1082 on January 20, 2018, 12:18:07 PM
Thanks Mr. Mike! Your soundfile certainly played its part too. The servicberry is everything and more than I excepted!

Glad I could help. Spent a lot of time around Marlin's table.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Cut N Run

Quote from: gergg on January 20, 2018, 04:03:05 PM
I don't really hunt with a box call, but I love to build them and play them.... so I sat around Marlin''s table while guys were running his boxes, man they all sounded awesome, so I'm sure this one is a sweet talker too...congrats!

Can I ask why you don't use a box call?  Are you a trumpet-only kinda guy?  The vast majority of the birds I've called in answered a box first, then got sweet talked with pot, mouth, and scratching the rest of the way in.
Luck counts, good or bad.

SS Calls

gergg

Quote from: Cut N Run on January 20, 2018, 07:49:56 PM

Can I ask why you don't use a box call?  Are you a trumpet-only kinda guy?  The vast majority of the birds I've called in answered a box first, then got sweet talked with pot, mouth, and scratching the rest of the way in.
Just a personal thing, I have killed birds with box calls, they sound awesome, I just prefer other "instruments"....Like guys in a band, some like to play guitar, drums, bass, etc....

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

sixbird

Missed you at UNICOI. Things got hectic before we left and I didn't know how to get in touch after we were there...Darn! Happened with a couple of people...

mgm1955

Congrats! That's a fine call!

gergg

Quote from: sixbird on January 20, 2018, 10:14:37 PM

Missed you at UNICOI. Things got hectic before we left and I didn't know how to get in touch after we were there...Darn! Happened with a couple of people...

Should be able to meet up next year....best of luck chasing them this year!

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

sixbird

Quote from: gergg on January 21, 2018, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: sixbird on January 20, 2018, 10:14:37 PM

Should be able to meet up next year....best of luck chasing them this year!

Hopefully that'll happen. I was looking forward to hearing that double chamber scratcher...

greencop01

An awesome lookin call by one of the best !   :icon_thumright:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!