OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sleeping in the woods?

Started by wkyhunter, April 12, 2019, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

Kinda silly question...
Know we all doze off on occasion, but I use to think nothing of stretching on the leaves and getting a 20 -30 min power nap. Woke several times to a gobble.
But, with all the tick borne illnesses I'm hesitant to anymore. I've considered getting some netting and spray it down good to use on the ground.
Do y'all consciously try to catch a few Zs during the slow times? Maybe I'm just overthinking the ticks?

j.goebel

I always spray down with sawyer spray because of ticks and it definitely works to keep them away so you can nap!
Justin Goebel

LaLongbeard

I've never had a tick on me since using Permethrin, never not one ever, haven't seen any on my clothes it works.
Can't help but catch a nap when your waiting for the hens to leave a Gobbler and you been waking up at 2 am for 10 days in a row. Get some permethrin and have a nap lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

guesswho

I have been known to get them to shock gobble while I was checking my eye lids for leaks.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

I commonly go in early enough I sleep til daylight. I've also taken a quick nap in slow times.

TrackeySauresRex

I was thinking of changing my handle SleepySaurus
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Spitten and drummen

Nothing like a good ole nap in the spring woods. I call it having patience.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mikejd

I take a nap atleast once a day. Sometimes its just for a minute sometimes 5 or 10. Last year me and my dad where hunting on opposite sides of a big field. Birds had been quiet for days and we had seen some birds out in this field a time or two. So we just setup to do some light calling. Well wouldnt you know I see 3 gobblers pop out into the corner of the field. I thought for sure that looks like it must be by dad. They must here him calling. Well they walk right out into the middle of this big firld. I try to get him on the radio but nothing. I assume he shut it when he saw the birds. Finally he is on the radio I say dad where are you he says right in the corner. Thats when I told him the birds where just there. He looks to his right and they where right there and now they where out of range. I said where you sleeping, No answer. That was the last morning of a 10 day hunt. Lets just say he is still made at himself.

TRG3

My turkey lounger is just right for that mid-morning nap. I took a nice nap today after only seeing one turkey in four days of hunting. I did manage to call in a cottontail to my decoys, perhaps a new way to hunt bunnies!

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on April 12, 2019, 07:00:19 PM
I have been known to get them to shock gobble while I was checking my eye lids for leaks.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

coyote1

Hard not to nap in the spring woods with the sun shining down on me. I call it strategizing.

Yoder409

Heck !!!   One of the landmarks on our property is the Turkey Sleepin' Log.

It's in a great late day area and doggoned if it ain't darned near shaped like a La-Z-Boy recliner !!  I've sawed LOTS of regular logs reclined against the Turkey Sleepin' Log....................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

I can be as tired as ever and as soon as I try and nap I wake right up, as soon as I close my eyes I think I'm missing something.

A good friend of mine who is about the level of Elmer Fudd as far as a hunter can sleep with the best of em!

My wife would always ask to sit in a nice sunny spot on those beautiful April mornings so she could doze off!

dswmsn

I intentionly look for big trees in the shadows that have built in "armrest". That way I can play Rip Van Winkle when things appear slow. I have been woken up more than once to clucks and purrs...Never a gobble though thank goodness, because I might have messed my trousers.

Kylongspur88

I've been known to catch a few z's in the woods especially after a good lunch. Get a hammock. You can fit it in your vest and can use it on just about any two sturdy tree's plus your up off the ground. It would probably be pretty tough to kill a bird if one worked in on you though.