OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ocellated Turkey

Started by wangchung0121, March 30, 2015, 02:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangchung0121

I just found out that a buddy is getting married in Cancun, and I was wondering if anyone has been on a hunt down there.  Thoughts?  Experiences?  Thanks in advance.

Damon

MXHUNTCXN

Hello Damon!

The Ocellated turkey hunting in Mexico is awesome - to say the least! However, Cancun is located in the State of "Quintana Roo" and the Ocellated Turkey is hunted in the State of "Campeche" - 2 Sates to the west of Quintana Roo....It really isn't a hunt you can go do for a couple of days and come back...

I will give you an example for the logistics of the hunt that I manage: it is worth mentioning that for a successful Ocellated Turkey hunt you need 5 full hunting days, plus a day in front and back for travel...you would actually have two options for getting to the hunt, you would have to arrive either to the City of "Campeche" (in the State of "Campeche) or the City of "Merida" (in the State of Yucatan). Both are contact points where we pick up hunters. However, if you depart from Cancun, you would either have to rent a car and drive about 3.5 hrs to Merida, or, drive 7 hrs to Campeche. Another option would be to fly into either City - all flights have a connection in Mexico City (not a big deal), you can probably find round-trip flights from Cancun to Campeche for around $450 US. If you fly into Merida (3 hrs from camp) there is a $300 US charge for the airport-camp trip, if you fly into Campeche (1.5 hrs from camp) there is no airport-camp trip charge.

That being said, the most important thing to kepp in mind is that you have to import your bird into the US without problems! I highly recommend you fly back into the US through either Houston or Dallas, TX - any other port of entry into the US and you will have problems - even if you have all the paperwork in order. Another thing to keep in mind is that one if the documents you need to process for bird importation into the US is called a "VS 16-3 Permit" - not a big deal to get, but, it takes about 6 - 8 weeks to be authorized by "APHIS". We can help you with this if you get to this point.

Taking into account all of the above, if you were to travel to Cancun and wanted to work in an Ocellated turkey hunt, the best recommendation I can give you, is to go on the turkey hunt after Cancun and fly home after the hunt...this way you wouldn't be traveling around with an expensive turkey cape that needs to get the taxidermist asap!

Hope this helps! Straight shots! 
Alberto Valdes Fisher, owner MXHUNTCXN
alberto@mxhuntcxn.com
alberto@ocellatedturkey.com

mgm1955

Thanks for the info. I'm sure we all will benefit from it.

MXHUNTCXN

You are most welcome MGM - glad to answer any questions you may have!

Thanks,
Alberto Valdes Fisher, owner MXHUNTCXN
alberto@mxhuntcxn.com
alberto@ocellatedturkey.com