OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey meat question

Started by Brian Fahs, May 18, 2024, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Swamper

Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 05:21:09 PM
Quote from: Old Swamper on Today at 04:36:02 PMCould never even fathom the thought of hunting and killing turkeys that were not going to be eaten by myself and family. I am not cool enough to be a traveling turkey hunter, however I do take up to 10 day trips locally. What ever does not get ate in camp comes home. I respect turkeys more than most people I know, and enjoy eating them in many different meals. To me, it would be disrespectful to give a hard earned gobbler away. Unfortunately with most today, numbers and states are more important than respecting the Turkey. This is just my opinion. To each their own.

Well you called him up and shot him so I don't think the Gobbler really cares who eats him. I have every single gobbler fan and spurs I've killed all the way back to the first one at age 12. The meat is eaten and there's no more the gobblers I kill the fan beards and spurs will be preserved forever or at least as long as I'm alive. That's about as much respect as you could give something you killed. After all if you really want to make the gobblers day just take his picture and yell boo lol. That way the gobbler lives  another day and won't be likely to go to another hen yelping.
I care who eats 'em, and thats all that matters to me ;) I've always made it a point to only kill what "I" can eat. Again, to each their own. This is just my opinion.

eddie234

Quote from: Old Swamper on Today at 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 05:21:09 PM
Quote from: Old Swamper on Today at 04:36:02 PMCould never even fathom the thought of hunting and killing turkeys that were not going to be eaten by myself and family. I am not cool enough to be a traveling turkey hunter, however I do take up to 10 day trips locally. What ever does not get ate in camp comes home. I respect turkeys more than most people I know, and enjoy eating them in many different meals. To me, it would be disrespectful to give a hard earned gobbler away. Unfortunately with most today, numbers and states are more important than respecting the Turkey. This is just my opinion. To each their own.

Well you called him up and shot him so I don't think the Gobbler really cares who eats him. I have every single gobbler fan and spurs I've killed all the way back to the first one at age 12. The meat is eaten and there's no more the gobblers I kill the fan beards and spurs will be preserved forever or at least as long as I'm alive. That's about as much respect as you could give something you killed. After all if you really want to make the gobblers day just take his picture and yell boo lol. That way the gobbler lives  another day and won't be likely to go to another hen yelping.
I care who eats 'em, and thats all that matters to me ;) I've always made it a point to only kill what "I" can eat. Again, to each their own. This is just my opinion.
Agree completely, I've never harvested anything that didn't end up in my freezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ruination

Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 02:24:11 PMLol. You say 2-4 pounds I say 2 pounds and I'm hunting chickens. You must be a Yankee?

You said 2 lbs I'm saying 4-8.  You asked how much 1 breast weighs.  So yes, if you turkey breast weighs a pound each, that's a chicken.  But I'm think you just ditch the whole bird at this point.
.410 Favors the Bold

lalongbeard75

Quote from: ruination on Today at 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 02:24:11 PMLol. You say 2-4 pounds I say 2 pounds and I'm hunting chickens. You must be a Yankee?

You said 2lbs I'm saying 4-8.  You asked how much 1 breast weighs.  So yes, if you turkey breast weighs a pound each, that's a chicken.  But I'm think you just ditch the whole bird at this point.
No you said 2-4 it was in your post I quoted lol. You also said you guess?

The first gobbler I killed in La for example was quite a bit bigger than the second that was a 2 year old. I ended up weighing the Turkey Breast from this bird on a food scale so I'd know how much seasoning to add for a new recipe I had. 2 lbs thats what the weight was. This was from a deep swamp public land gobbler that has probably never seen a piece of corn. Crop field birds killed by guys in pop up blinds and a flock of decoys probably do weigh quite a bit more.
Really matters not to my point. Unless it's the last day of my season and I'm headed home I'm not wallering 2 pounds or 10 pounds of Turkey breast and chasing down ice everyday when I can give the meat to someone who appreciates it. In my travels there is never a shortage of Turkey hunters I meet who eat tags for supper lol.

ruination

Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 12:21:05 PM
Quote from: ruination on May 21, 2024, 11:15:21 AM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on May 20, 2024, 08:58:35 PMI've killed 8 gobblers this season I only kept the 2 from Louisiana to eat. I never had any trouble finding someone that will take the meat. Keeps me from having to miss hunting time looking for ice machines etc. The meat is very low on my list of reasons I hunt turkeys. I'd never waste the meat from one but I'm not going to extreme measures to bring 2 pounds of meat home when I can find someone that will use it locally.

Dang, you kill small turkeys

How much does one Turkey breast weigh where you hunt?

One.  Turkey.  Breast.  Like you said turkeys come in different sizes.  It's a joke, not a dick, don't take it so hard.  Lol.

You said 2 lbs when you meant 12.
.410 Favors the Bold

lalongbeard75

Quote from: ruination on Today at 08:22:46 PM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on Today at 12:21:05 PM
Quote from: ruination on May 21, 2024, 11:15:21 AM
Quote from: lalongbeard75 on May 20, 2024, 08:58:35 PMI've killed 8 gobblers this season I only kept the 2 from Louisiana to eat. I never had any trouble finding someone that will take the meat. Keeps me from having to miss hunting time looking for ice machines etc. The meat is very low on my list of reasons I hunt turkeys. I'd never waste the meat from one but I'm not going to extreme measures to bring 2 pounds of meat home when I can find someone that will use it locally.

Dang, you kill small turkeys

How much does one Turkey breast weigh where you hunt?

One.  Turkey.  Breast.  Like you said turkeys come in different sizes.  It's a joke, not a dick, don't take it so hard.  Lol.

You said 2 lbs when you meant 12.
I said 2 lbs. because that's what it weighed.
As for as di@ks Im sure you know more about them than what a Turkey breast weighs.