OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggestions for pot call to do kee kee run

Started by jakesdad, February 15, 2015, 10:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

What do you guys use as far as pot calls to do kee kee runs with?Specific type of call,specific surface,special striker,etc.Always wanted to learn how to do and/or get a call that can produce good sounding kee kees. Thanks!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

scoot12

The guys you see in contest calling are using a kee disc or a form of it,  Roger Parks makes a kee striker made out of rhodendron specifically for this.  As far as pot calls go I would use an aluminum call to kee on and a hardwood striker to go with it.  I would think plain aluminum would be best surface to kee on but that's my opinion.  Scoot

hunter22

One of the best I have heard and run is the Lonnie Sneed aluminum Terminator pot call with a thin shaft hardwood striker. But I have never run a kee disc.

idratherb

any pot worth a darn will kee kee, but I prefer an aluminum or crystal

Bowguy

Aluminum is my preferred surface. I use a lights out anondized aluminum. Just use the edge of whatever call you use

West Augusta

I agree.  Roger Parks makes an excellent kee kee pot.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Stump.270

I can kee kee on any God glass call use a lot of pressure and hold the call tighter in holloran u tube video he kee kee with all his calls I tought myself off of his video

WillowRidgeCalls

As far as what call or striker works best, is totally up to you liking, only you can decide that. Alum is probably one of the easier surfaces to run a kee on, but a glass will do just as good and even a slate with the right striker. A hardwood works best, but that determined on how you play a call, if your an aggressive player or a soft touched player determines on what strikers work best for you? The main thing in running a kee kee is that you keep the exact amount of pressure down on your striker and keep the same angle on your striker all the way through the call.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Tailwalk

Hallorans twisted sister kee Kees with ease for me.

Team Bucky

Almost every pot call should kee kee. The secret is in holding the striker tighter and closer to the call to take vibration out of the peg. Also play it across the outside edge of the pot (horizontally, not vertically like you yelp on a call.) Also move your arm and keep the peg angle fixed once you get the high kee sound. Rolling your wrist of changing the angle of the peg changes the sound. Hope this makes sense. Lighter wood for the striker also improves the kee kee (Holly is the best and the lightest for kees). Another secret if using an aluminum kee disc is letting the striker tip fill up with aluminum dust. Don't sand your tip once it gets good.