turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Question

Started by Neill_Prater, Today at 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

The scenario. You have planned a 3 or 4 day hunt in another state. For this exercise, let's assume you aren't well heeled, and this trip is funded by overtime at the job, or a side job. Limit is one gobbler.

Hunt A, you luck out the first morning and a gobbler sounds off on the roost less than a quarter mile from your truck. You set up, he flies down when it is still half dark, walks in and you shoot him.

Hunt B, you don't see or hear a gobbler until the second afternoon. The next two days you come close to pulling it off a couple of times, calling him into gun range once, but can't get a clear shot because of one bush between you and him, and go home empty handed.

Would you be, personally, more satisfied with hunt A or B? I hope people will answer honestly because there's no wrong answer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I've done both.  "B"  is fun. "B" will be remembered. "B" will always be like that fish that got away. "A"  however short is my choice because in that scenario I will drive to a neighboring state, buy a tag and continue my hunt.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I'm going to be more satisfied with a hunt that winds up with a bird in my truck. 
But part of me would feel a bit shorted by the brief experience.  Even so, I'd be smiling on my way home.
I do enjoy seeing new woods and experiencing new places.  But I can do that for two more days with a camera after I clean my bird.  :happy0167:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

I would say B. I like seeing new sites and learning new things. I will kill some turkeys every year, and since I have no goals of any slams or whatever other fad comes up, I will enjoy the experiences and playing the game.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Having experienced both scenarios numerous times over the years, I will take "A" every time.  For the types of trips in your scenario...that is, going to a place I have never been...I do a lot of research, map scouting, and overall evaluation of the area I will be hunting.  By the time I arrive there, I have already spent a good deal of time putting a hunting plan together.

Having early success as presented in "A", to me just means all the time spent in my "deliberations" prior to the hunt were validated.  By the time I arrive for the physical hunt, I have already "hunted" the area "mentally" many times over.

On the other hand, scenario "B" just makes me feel like those pre-hunt preparations were flawed...or, at a minimum, not thorough enough...or, in some cases, the circumstances and conditions were just not favorable. Then again, some of those "B" type hunts are the best learning experiences as to what to do better the next time.  :icon_thumright:  :D 

Bottomland OG

I would do just as Gooserbat. It's ok if I let him walk on my terms but if I call him in and he gets away then that will always haunt me.

Muzzy61

For out of state hunts, especially if somewhere hadn't been before I'll take B. Those kinds on trips it's about the experience more than the kill.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ChesterCopperpot

I'd go Hunt B every time. I just really get enjoyment out of watching them play the game well and beat me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love killing them. But it's like George Mayfield said, "You know, I've gotten about where if I don't know a turkey, now don't misunderstand me, but I want to hunt a turkey I know. If I had my choice, I'd take one that way rather than a hundred the other way, just shooting them when they run up there. It's just something about the experience and having a relationship with a turkey over time and getting beat makes it so sweet when you kill one like that. It's a sad gladness, relief kind of, but it's not all high-fiving and rolling in the straw when you kill one like that that you know so good, I promise you."

For some folks it's a numbers game, stack up the two year olds. And for some it's something else entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: Gooserbat on Today at 08:48:17 AMI've done both.  "B"  is fun. "B" will be remembered. "B" will always be like that fish that got away. "A"  however short is my choice because in that scenario I will drive to a neighboring state, buy a tag and continue my hunt.

^^^^^^

This.

HOWEVER....... I've also done "C".

I drove nearly 1400 miles to see and hunt my first Merriam's birds.  On Day 2 of a 5 day hunt.....40+ mph sustained winds and heavy snow..... I passed a longbeard at 33 steps because there were 2 better ones just 30-35 yards out of range.  I had 2 tags in my pocket.  That thin 7"-8" beard just wasn't what I had come there for.  So I let the bird walk.  Couldn't seal the deal on the other two that day.

We ended up basically running for our lives at 4:00 AM the next morning to get ahead of a 15" forecasted snowstorm that was moving in.  Cut the last 3 days out of the hunt.  But we got out.  To this day, what I did does not haunt or bother me a BIT. 

I LOVE SHOOTING THEM !!!!!  But I don't hafta.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Hook hanger

I would never give up a "gifted bird" so A would be my choice.

Greg Massey

AS I have gotten older, I would be satisfied with either one. First just hearing a gobbler is an accomplishment. After that it's all up to you and your skill levels. Just remember you're on his turf.
Regardless of the outcome just enjoy your time outdoors.

zelmo1

I'd have to go with Sam on this one. Both will be remembered, but A gets me to another state/ adventure. Z