OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Redfield Ace Mini red dot?

Started by steveus, March 03, 2023, 06:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveus

Academy now owns Redfield, they have this on sale for $ 112.49. Does anyone have any experience with this sight?
Thanks

FL-Boss

Looks solid. I always like Redfield stuff.. they have been around a long time.   I have 4 Burris FF3 dots now...but if I ever need another I would consider this..

steveus

Thanks for responding FL-Boss. I had decided on the FFIII but the price on the Redfield was just too tempting and it comes with a lifetime warranty so I figured I had nothing to lose, but maybe a turkey! So I went ahead and bought one today.  Can't wait to get it mounted.

FL-Boss

A second look at a video of the sight.. you have to remove it to change the battery. That wouldn't work for me.. my sights are mounted directly with lock-tight. But for those that don't mind removing ... hard to beat the price.  The truth is the battery should be fine for 3 turkey seasons... especially if the sight has an auto shut off as most do....

steveus

True that battery is on bottom of sight but sight is removed from base with the same 2 screws and base stays on gun. Base has 4 posts for alignment and the 2 screws so I don't think gun would have to be re-sighted, at least not a shotgun. Thanks for the heads-up on this because when I first posted I had barely taken it out of the box! I've mounted many scopes on my handguns and rifles but have never had an optic on a shotgun. Really liking it so far, my eyes are not what they used to be and I think this red-dot will help.

steveus

Well I got the Redfield mounted on one of my Ithaca 37s with no problems and fired 3 shells to get it at zero. I really like the 3mm dot, the brightness adjusts well, the dot moves with windage and elevation changes as it should. So far so good. Of course not enough shells fired or time on the gun for a long-term report but so far so good. Won't be long before turkey season and we'll hopefully have some chances to put it to a better test.  But from what I've seen so far, I think I may go ahead and buy another one for a Ruger Mk II slab-side .22 if they are still on sale.
Thanks for looking.

NightHawk24

Interested as well. Don't have a ton of money to drop on an optic and it seems to be very well made for the price

steveus

Well, our turkey season is not in yet, but I've shot plenty of 3" Winchester Long Beards just to give the Redfield a good test. I'm really loving it. It adjusts zero well, it holds zero well, the 3moa dot looks good and clear, just liking everything about it. It has not been in the rain yet so can't speak to that, although Redfield and Academy warrant it to be waterproof. It is no longer on sale at Academy, gone back to regular price of $149. Anyway, just wanted to let ya'll know that so far I think it's going to be a keeper. Thanks for looking.

quackaddict

Check out the at3 micro. They're a fantastic sight. One button for on/off and brightness, positive click on the button, battery loads from the top, and it has a metal battery cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

steveus

Well, just for the latest update on the Redfield. Our turkey season here in GA came in last Saturday on private land and I was able to kill a nice gobbler yesterday morning. As stated in an earlier post, I had never had any kind of optic on a shotgun but with aging eyes finally put the Redfield Mini Reflex on one of my Ithaca 37s.  So, shot the gobbler while he was trotting pretty fast out towards a live hen in a field. What I noticed was that I was able to get on target with the red dot much faster than I would have with fiber optic sights like I have on another Ithaca 37. This thing is exactly what I was hoping for and I would highly recommend the Redfield to anyone. At least this is MY experience. I think most Academy stores are out of stock on them right now.
Thanks for following this.