News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sight Durability

Started by tmcguire, February 17, 2023, 11:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcguire

Hey Fellas,

Was very happy with my Holosun 507K for a season, but it is having issues holding zero now... Had a similar issue with a FF3 years ago on a different gun. Wondering if I'm just having bad luck or if anyone else has had a similar experience. Love the red dot/reflex sites.... but definitely a pain when this happens. Thankfully, with my Mossberg Pro Turkey I can still use my front sites.

Bad apples or is this the norm for people (loosing zero 1-2 years in)?

Glades

When you say "losing zero" you mean the dot moved on it's own, without the windage/elevation dials moving? Or are your dials loose and moving?

wyetterp

Shouldn't be losing zero unless there is a problem. If there is a mechanical issue holosuns CS is really good.

Are you 100% it's the dot moving out of zero? If so you need warranty work.

If you're not sure I'd try & eliminate a few things to confirm. How is it mounted? To a pic rail, rib, or direct threaded. I would try & confirm it is not moving in the mounting system, or the system isn't loosening.

Might be beneficial to run a tracking test of the dot. I typically do it by putting the firearm in a non-moveable gun vise or stand. A few feet in front of the barrel, I tape up a piece of graphing paper against a wall or flat surface. I use a string & plum bob to get the paper straight, but not really necessary. Blame ocd. Look through & mark on the paper where the dot sits. Then go 10 clicks up & mark the paper. Then 10 clicks left & mark. Then go down 20 & mark, then right 10 & marks. At this point it should be plum with the start zero. Then go 10 more right & mark. 10 up & mark. Should be parallel. Then 10 more up & mark. 10 left & mark. Should be plum again & on the started dot where you made the first 10 up mark. Then go 10 down & it should be returned to zero.

If not it's not tracking correctly & there is a problem. If it does track correctly, do it a few times to confirm & it may be a mounting issue causing the zero movement over time. 
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

wyetterp

I track test every new optic I get, right off the bat before anything else. You'd be surprised how some really good optics don't track properly. 

the Ward

If your gun has a removable barrel, make sure the magazine tube cap is tight. Some guns
have a lot of play in the barrel fit and can move around a bit under recoil.

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on February 18, 2023, 09:17:12 AM
If your gun has a removable barrel, make sure the magazine tube cap is tight. Some guns
have a lot of play in the barrel fit and can move around a bit under recoil.

X2 here, had this happen. I tighten the barrel tight on initial set up, then I check it occasionally, especially after each shot......good tip Ward!
"Solo hunter"

slave601

My holosun 508T has had problems holding zero out the gate. Lock tite applied and dried proper torqued on 2 different mounts. My other holosun 508t works flawlessly. In process of returning now but it's taking forever
"thinnin the flock"

tmcguire

Thanks fellas, I'll play around with it some more and try to eliminate a few variables. I doubt it's a mounting issue as it's direct mounted to the receiver, but you never know.

the Ward

Hope you can get it figured out. Can be frustrating for sure chasing down a fix. Keep us
updated if you can, it might help others with a similar problem in the future.

Glades

I would recommend grabbing a paint sharpie (like a silver or gold), and putting a mark at the dials. If the dial is moving on its own, you'll be able to tell.

slave601

I sent my 508T back. Purchased a fast fire 4 instead.
"thinnin the flock"

ShortMagFan

I've used a bunch of fast fires thru the years. The only problem I ever had was when a screw stripped out of the Burris mounting plate.

slicksbeagles1

What is a tracking test?

wyetterp

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on March 12, 2023, 08:46:44 AM
What is a tracking test?

I talked about a simple way in post #2. You can easily do it at
home at the kitchen table. If you don't have a gun stand or vice
just use whatever you can to get it in a solid, no movable position.
Having the paper only a few feet away works great for magnified
or non-magnified.

You can think of a tracking test as a way to confirm that all the
little micro gears inside the optic are working properly & holding
the adjustments. For every click adjustment, it's either moving
a laser or reticle depending on the style scope or red dot. More
times then you'd expect, those little micro gears are not aligned
properly, damaged teeth, or just out of spec.

Always good to do it, before anything, when getting a new one,
or to verify on an older used one.

Feel free to pm me if you would like more of an explanation or
some assistance in how to do it.

Another benefit of doing it with the plumb bob & paper is when
the optic has a cross hair. During your initial installation of the scope,
when you get the firearms level in whatever method, you can
then just line up the crosshairs with the string. Then you know
your reticle is exactly level. Which is really important.

Another good trick if it's a crosshair style scope is to shine a flashlight
through the front. Make sure it is magnified to the max. You can
then see the actual crosshair shadow & line it up to the plumb bob
precisely. If it's a bolt action you can also look through the barrel,
make a dot & get a measurement of height over bore & set you center
that far above the dot. Then you're also bore sighted & will be
really close during the zero process.

It's a lot to read, but really easy in practice.