OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the fastest...

Started by Happy, January 28, 2020, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

You have had a gobbler approach your calling? Not talking about approaching decoys but purely towards calling?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

About 3 minutes.  Pulled into some planted pines and got out of my jeep.  Walked across maybe 4 rows and cut on a mouth call mid morning.  Longbeard gobbled and ran down the row right to me while I'm still standing and in plain view of my jeep.  Shot him at about 15 yards.   I've had several 10-15 minute hunts, but that was by far the fastest I've had one come in.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Brian Fahs

I don't know if this is considered calling but I have killed several that came running right to me while walking a ridge and calling. I'm talking about just walking between calling spots. Several gobbled at my footsteps in the leaves. I think it is a quick conformation to the gobbler that that hen is real and is getting away.

Each time I just stand there thinking...that just happened!

1iagobblergetter

I moved to a new area I was hunting and cutt on the call.
A big Tom must have been standing with a few hens and a Jake by a tree top. As soon as I called he about did a backflip through the tree top and gobbled after he hit the ground.
A little more calling and within minutes i was waiting for the cloud of smoke to disappear with my first muzzleloader kill.

roverboy

Listen for the gobble

Yoder409

45 seconds

Got between a monarch and a pair of 2 year olds on the roost one time.  I was actually set up on the 2 year olds.  Wasn't aware the old boy was below me til he fired a gobble off.  As soon as he hit the ground I did a single cluck-purr on a diaphragm and turned the dot on............  He came in, doing the fast "mean walk".......periscope up.

Game over. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ranger

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 28, 2020, 07:18:29 PM
45 seconds

Got between a monarch and a pair of 2 year olds on the roost one time.  I was actually set up on the 2 year olds.  Wasn't aware the old boy was below me til he fired a gobble off.  As soon as he hit the ground I did a single cluck-purr on a diaphragm and turned the dot on............  He came in, doing the fast "mean walk".......periscope up.

Game over.

THIS, exactly. Sat down on the young man on purpose, and ignoring the King and only answering the 2yr old brought him within a minute after he hit the ground. When he hit he sounded like a 50lb sack of potatoes fell out the tree, they can determine how hard and loudly they hit the ground if you haven't figured that out.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Big Pine

I had one last season that cut off my yelp with a gobble just around a curve in the road that almost instantly popped around the curve at 30 yards. Total time from first yelp to me shooting him probably less than 30 seconds. He was my best turkey ever as well. Pure luck I didn't booger that situation up

Harty

30-45 sec.  was easing along just below the crest of a lengthy ridge calling on occasion when one sounded off just on the opposite side. Barely had time to get set up when his head came bobbing up over the crest. Done deal.

Gobspur

About 1 minute if I recall correctly.  Believe the quickest was the first one I killed in TN.  I always try to stand next to a good tree to setup before I start calling.  In this case, he responded as soon as I called, so I plopped down and saw his head come a bobbing within a few seconds.

Happy, you should start an opposite thread.  What's the slowest (or longest)... cause I got a few of those!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Probably 30-45 seconds.... Long story short I was working my way down a logging road in East KY calling every so often. Stopped at a bend in the raod and hit my pot call and got an immediate double gobble back from just around the bend in the road. I sat down right there in the middle of road and hit the call once more and got my gun up. 2 gobblers came running around the bend in the road and I dropped the bigger one at maybe 15 yards.

Cut N Run

About 8 minutes is my fastest first call to kill.  Late one morning in 1995 after hearing nothing early, I was walking up a creek bottom towards a saddle in the ridge.  Once I got to the saddle, I leaned up against a tree and cutt on my old Lynch box.  A gobbler fired up behind me along the ridge ( I must have walked past him or he was on the other side of the crest) and he came trucking to the saddle.  I'd settled against the base of the tree that just happened to have a holly behind it for good cover.  The gobbler strutted behind me across the draw towards the other side of the ridge, but didn't make it. I busted him with a 3" #6 Federal from my single shot at about 25 yards.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Spitten and drummen

30 seconds maybe a little longer. Set up on a bird gobbling on the limb. Gave him a tree call and he pitched about 5 yards in front of me. It was still hazy grey but I could see him through my scope. Fastest hunt I ever had. Never had a bird do that again in 40 years of chasing them. It was crazy because this was the fourth day in a row I hunted him. I stayed with him for the 3 days prior and could not do anything with him. On the first day I had him at 50 yards and he would not budge. I learned that preseverance will pay off. That bird taught me that any bird is killable at some point if you have the dedication to stick with him.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ranger

True what Gobspur said, remember a lot better and more fond of the struck at 9 and killed after 11:30 type.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gobspur on January 28, 2020, 08:44:16 PM
About 1 minute if I recall correctly.  Believe the quickest was the first one I killed in TN.  I always try to stand next to a good tree to setup before I start calling.  In this case, he responded as soon as I called, so I plopped down and saw his head come a bobbing within a few seconds.

Happy, you should start an opposite thread.  What's the slowest (or longest)... cause I got a few of those!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I could throw in a few hunts that gave me some gray hair.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE