OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making The Cut

Started by Footballer, March 13, 2014, 11:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

Around February every year I start playing with my calls and narrowing down the ones I will hunt with. I generally will always have an aluminum and glass in my vest. The third pot call I carry is a "wild call" and varies between a ceramic, slate and copper.

Do you use some kind of elimination process and, if so, what are you looking for? Also, what type of calls usually make it in your vest every year?

letinmfly

Crystal is my go to call followed by glass and aluminum.  I don't carry a slate till later on in the season.
Here in the northeast it's usually cool/cold and damp in the mornings and the slates are basically useless.  From the middle of the season as mornings temps warm and a good slate is very effective, that's when it makes its way into my vest.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

West Augusta

I pretty much carry the same calls every year until a new one can win a spot in my vest.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

eddie234

I only own four, that way I don't have to decide. I've got an aluminum, slate, ceramic and crystal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

davisd9

I go to the woods and place my phone to voice record then set it down.  I walk about 30 or so yards from it and then start calling.  After going through a routine I walk back and turn it off. Then I listen to it and decide, does this sound like a real hen?  How does it sound loud and soft?  Then I choose the best from a few different surfaces.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hunter22

The pot calls that are always in my vest are a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen slate, a Lonzo Trice Black acrylic bronzed glass I call Black Death, and a Yingling cast copper. I sometimes carry a Darrin Dawkins Walnut aluminum or a Daybreak Padauk ceramic. These calls have been the last sound a lot of gobblers have heard.

gwa

I found a nice little slate last year that mimics a hen perfectly, to my ears anyhow. It definitely made the grade.... and will for many many more....