turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth optics ?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 07, 2015, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I'm looking in putting some type of optics on my son's youth 870 and just had it drilled and tapped. If I go the ff3 route could someone please direct me in what all I need and possibly where to purchase. Im also pondering on putting a new nikon turkey pro (old style) on it. With the gun being a youth model would there be eye relief issues? Leaning more towards the ff3 and keeping the nikon squirreled away. Any problems in seeing the dot in bright sun light? I had a holosight that when it was bright out I couldn't see the dot at all. I dont know much about the ff3 and it seems like alot of guys like them on here. Just curious. Thanks for any help....

grayfox

The FF3 would work very well. Many many hunters use these with excellent results. If you want cheaper than the Truglo TruBrite works good also with plenty different brightness settings.  Choice of red or green dot in 2.5MOA or 5MOA. Battery life is also very good & easy to change. It does sit up higher so he will have to hold his head up some unless you put a cheek riser on the stock.  But a it's good sight for around 70-80 bucks.  I used one for 2 seasons & loved it.  There are plenty others but these are just a couple of good ones to consider that will stand the recoil.

Snoodsniper

You will not have a problem seeing the dot in bright light with the ff3. It's an excellent sight. You can usually find a good deal on eBay but shop around. Get the picatinny protector if you go with the ff3. You might also want to take a look at the Bushnell trs25. Its a great little red dot and under a hundred dollars.

ericjames

I like the ff3. But I really want to try a mueller quickshot.

1iagobblergetter

Thanks everyone.I've decided I'm going to buy him the ff3 beings it sounds like it's pretty well been field tested by members on the forum. Can anyone tell me what mount I need to attach it directly on the receiver without using a rail? I'd like to get this ordered in the next day or so. Our youth season opens up in less than a month. We're excited. My best hunt ever was being with him when he bagged his first Tom on his first turkey hunt ever. Then taking him 4th season him missing and asking if it would come back. Lol.. Thanks again.

dbierman

Get the "Speed Bead" mount.
I'll keep my freedom, guns and money.
You can keep the "change".

Duane Bierman Sr

Snoodsniper

I'd go with a saddle mount if it's not already drilled and tapped. Never tried the speed bead mount. It could be a good option as well.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: dbierman on March 08, 2015, 11:51:21 AM
Get the "Speed Bead" mount.
Decided to go this route but was told when trying to order they don't make one for the 870 20 gauge. Has anyone somehow found one that works? Thanks

870supermagnum

I'm setting up the exact same gun up for my two grandsons.  I chose the B-Square saddle mount to go with the FF3.  I have the mount already and the sight arrives tomorrow.  I'm also using a Jelly Head .570 choke.  I think it'll work great for the boys with some HW #7s.  Good luck on your choices.