Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diaphragm calls from one day to the next.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 02, 2015, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Is it normal to find that you can run a call one day with almost perfect sound, then the next day it seems like it is your first time using one?

I'm running into this issue. It seems like one day I can make really good purrs/clucks out of a certain call, then the next day it sounds like...I don't know what.

Dr Juice

I haven't experiendwd that situation. Perhaps it's the change in condition of the latex. I rinse my mouth calls and let air dry on a daily basis.

philbilly223

I have the same issue. I am not very good with them but some days it's the HS while others it's the Zink or the Gooserbat. I just take them all and use which ever I feel good with on a given morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie234

If you find a certain one you like real well buy several of them and use a fresh one each day. Let the one you used the day before dry out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

born2hunt

If you let them dry without reed separators in them they could be sticking.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Marc

I have actually noticed this with duck calls as well...  I have become convinced that temperature plays a role in how the call sounds...  The material expanding and contracting due to temperature, or the way the air travels over the call, as well as our own sound chamber (i.e. throat).  I am not sure what it is, but I have found with duck calls, that temperature or climate does seem to create some differences in the way some calls sound.

With a latex diaphragm call there are multiple issues that can occur:

• Latex could be sticking together.
  • Latex could be stretched.
  • Material (such as food) can get stuck in the latex.
  • Temperature.
  • Confidence at any given moment.

I would not think that temperature would play as large a roll with a diaphragm though, because the call will warm to our own body temperature after being in our mouth for several minutes...  I could be wrong, but I do feel there is a sound difference in a call when I take it out of the fridge and start playing it, verses after it has been in my mouth a few minutes and warmed up...

I do believe that confidence is underplayed as well.  If I have confidence I can run a call, I can usually make it work...  If I don't have confidence with my own calling or ability to run a particular call, it could be the best call in the world, and I still could not run it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hrpp20

Always seems like I can get perfect sound when I am practicing in the car but it sounds awful in the woods. About ready to give up and try a box call...

dougell

The reeds are probably sticking.Use a flat toothpick to keep the reeds seperated and store the call in the fridge.I'll run my for a while before I hit the woods to make sure it sounds right.Some calls seem to last longer than others.

jepcho

If it sounds good to you in the car but not in the woods I'd suggest practicing outside or in your basement or garage. Somewhere open where the sound can echo. I practice in the car a lot too but I've found that it sounds noticeably different in a car or small room than outside. Maybe you are actually calling the same it just sounds so different being outside.