turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can you make him gobble before sunrise?

Started by Flounder, January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I keep my mouth shut and let him do all the talking the less he knows the better

Dr Juice

beakbuster10

Quote from: Flounder on January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM
How do you make him gobble 5 minutes early?

Not trying to be rude, but if you have to ask this question a few months before the season the answer is don't try it all. Locator calls work both ways IMO you know where he is and he knows where you are. Watch the NWTF owl calling contests. Unless you sound like that, let him do his thing on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jblackburn

Quote from: turkeyfoot on January 28, 2016, 10:35:17 AM
I try if they won't set my clock back  5 Min. and try again. But really easterns are funny can usually get one going  early but never seen the need unless I suspect I'm far away and have to book it to close distance.  Rios and Mrriams will gobble real early pitch black dark

I've had Rios gobbling at 10:00 pm and 4:00 am, they'll gobble when/where ever they feel like it
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Satellitehunter

Had Rios gobble at us setting a blind up that went "pop" 4:00am in the mountains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

There are always two trains of thought on locator call use in these discussions.  Some of us say we use them and think others should know how to.  And some of us say we never use them and don't believe they are of any real use,...and even suggest they can be detrimental in turkey hunting.

Both trains of thought are correct,...depending on where you are hunting.  There are places where using locators to find birds is absolutely essential if you expect to have a reasonable chance of finding and killing a gobbler.  There are also places where they are of very little value and are not at all necessary. 

If you are hunting unfamiliar territory, especially areas of any size, I will state without any hesitation that you should know the basics of locator call use.  You may not need to use them in a given situation, but rest assured, there are times and places where they can be the difference between you killing a gobbler,...or not.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Happy on January 27, 2016, 01:01:26 PM
I tend to let them start on their own. I usually am pretty close to them and fine tune my setup from there. Around here the birds will roost in the same general area but I usually can't peg them to an exact tree so I plan on being flexible in the morning.
Exactly what I do.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

paboxcall

I've had success with them, I use a Harrison hooter and crow call.  One bird last year gobbled every time I hit the crow call for over hour while I was getting re-positioned.  I stress less about using them when hunting huge tracts of public ground.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Flounder

This farm is holding some nice birds and it would give me a little advantage in getting setup.
The other 10 or so I can roost and setup and don't have to worry bout coyote moving in quick.Just needed some ideas how you would try to do this if needed.
Thanks a lot.

silvestris

Quote from: Killerstump on February 24, 2016, 02:07:27 PM
I have a Harrison hoot stick but I've never had a bird gobble to it

Killerstump, I used my natural voice with great success until I had my stroke in 2012 and lost the ability to owl.  I was forced to get an owl caller and I chose the Harrison.  I am quite happy with it with the exception of having to carry something else with me and having to dig it out of my pocket.  I don't know how experienced you are at owling, so I will risk thinking not too experienced.  Forgive me, if otherwise.

Unless the turkeys in the areas you hunt have been owled to death, they will respond to a well-delivered owl.  You really only need two calls, the traditional "who cooks for you all" and the two note "oooooh-ahh".  I prefer the two note as a distant gobbler may gobble in the middle of the longer eight note sequence and you could miss it.

Go to You Tube and listen to Harrison and some of the other expert owlers.  Many are very good.  Ignore the fancy stuff and concentrate on the two calls I mentioned.  Hand placement is very important.  You want to choke the call down and just open your hand a little bit when more volume is desired.  You need to practice so that when you use the caller, you can do so with little thought.  Don't overdo it when hunting as you only need to know two things, where you are and where he is.  Once he gobbles, put the caller away and gain position to call the gobbler.

I hunted an area once where there was a hunter across the river each of the four mornings that I hunted the area who I named "Ole Four Hoot".  He never raised a gobble with his owling.  It was a pretty steep decline into the river bottom and on the last morning I decided that I was not going to make the effort if "Ole Four Hoot" was down there.  He was, so I decided to give him a thrill by gobbling at his owl.  When I did, a nice gobbler answered my gobble somewhat to the east on my side of the river so I went to him.  He never gobbled on his own, nor did he respect my calling.  He did, however answer a real owl once.  The object of this discourse is to learn to owl realistically and don't overdo it.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

paboxcall

Quote from: silvestris on February 27, 2016, 07:26:13 PM
Quote from: Killerstump on February 24, 2016, 02:07:27 PM
I have a Harrison hoot stick but I've never had a bird gobble to it

Killerstump, I used my natural voice with great success until I had my stroke in 2012 and lost the ability to owl.  I was forced to get an owl caller and I chose the Harrison.  I am quite happy with it with the exception of having to carry something else with me and having to dig it out of my pocket.  I don't know how experienced you are at owling, so I will risk thinking not too experienced.  Forgive me, if otherwise.

Unless the turkeys in the areas you hunt have been owled to death, they will respond to a well-delivered owl.  You really only need two calls, the traditional "who cooks for you all" and the two note "oooooh-ahh".  I prefer the two note as a distant gobbler may gobble in the middle of the longer eight note sequence and you could miss it.

Go to You Tube and listen to Harrison and some of the other expert owlers.  Many are very good.  Ignore the fancy stuff and concentrate on the two calls I mentioned.  Hand placement is very important.  You want to choke the call down and just open your hand a little bit when more volume is desired.  You need to practice so that when you use the caller, you can do so with little thought.  Don't overdo it when hunting as you only need to know two things, where you are and where he is.  Once he gobbles, put the caller away and gain position to call the gobbler.

I hunted an area once where there was a hunter across the river each of the four mornings that I hunted the area who I named "Ole Four Hoot".  He never raised a gobble with his owling.  It was a pretty steep decline into the river bottom and on the last morning I decided that I was not going to make the effort if "Ole Four Hoot" was down there.  He was, so I decided to give him a thrill by gobbling at his owl.  When I did, a nice gobbler answered my gobble somewhat to the east on my side of the river so I went to him.  He never gobbled on his own, nor did he respect my calling.  He did, however answer a real owl once.  The object of this discourse is to learn to owl realistically and don't overdo it.

That right there is some of the best advice I've read on a forum about locating a turkey.  Well done.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Marc

Quote from: Killerstump on February 27, 2016, 07:28:58 PM

I hunt an area with plenty of owls, and there is plenty of owl commotion in the morning...  I rarely hear a bird sound off to an actual owl...

Also have lots of crows in the area, and I cannot recall every hearing a tom sound off to real crow calls...

There are also Canada geese in the area...  Now, the birds light up to them...  Interestingly, the geese will land in the foothills and graze on grass in some of the same preferred areas as the turkeys.  If the honkers are there, the turkeys will go nowhere near them (as those geese are really aggressive).  So I hesitate to use a goose call as a locator, but will do so, if I know I am not going to set up from where I use the goose call.  (Also I am probably more proficient on a goose call than a turkey call).

I have had much better luck getting a bird to respond to an owl call when owls are not so common or vocal...  I think the turkeys get used to sounds that are extremely prevelant (or that would be my guess).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

Quote from: mlisandro on February 24, 2016, 12:49:25 PM
Owl hoot is the way to go!  :gobble:
Ya!    Using your own voice,  seems to work alot better than with calls friends will use.                      Just watch out for the owls!

GobbleNut

Perhaps there are places where the realism of the locator call is important, but from my experience, loudness and abruptness of the sound is the key factor in whether a gobbler responds to the noise it hears, or not. 

Gobblers are "wired" to gobble in the springtime to gobble at other gobblers.  That is why, if you watch a group of gobblers together, they will often appear to be gobbling simultaneously when, in fact, one gobbles first and the other come back and gobble immediately afterward, so close in fact that it almost seems like some supernatural occurrence inspired all of them to gobble at once.  The use of locator calls is, in essence, just a tactic to take advantage of that gobbling instinct.

Others here have mentioned tactics such as honking the car horn, or banging on the side of the door, etc.  I know a guy who used a CO2-operated blow horn in the spring.  The point being that gobblers are responding, not to any sort of "realism" in the sound, but to the abruptness and loudness of the sound itself which causes them to, often times, involuntarily gobble.

Bottom line for me is:  all other conditions being equal, give me the guy who has the loudest, most abrupt sounding call of whatever type you like over the guy who is realistic, but not loud enough, for getting gobblers to respond,...in any location you choose.

Flounder

When you get one to gobble you think he remembers what made him gobble? Oh, that was a truck horn or he says to himself, not going to fly down over there that was a coyote howling, heck he might even think that some kind of "Red Headed Swamp Monster"http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/Smileys/classic/character0029.gif is blowing a Harrisons Hooten Stick and he sounds like a "Sick Calf in a Hail Storm".