turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hind sight...

Started by BBD, March 23, 2014, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

Yesterday morning I slipped about 800 yards into a bottom using only the moonlight about 2 hours before daylight.  Was hunting some heavily pressured public land in Louisiana.  After it had gotten nearly flydown and still no gobbles I was very discouraged when a crow sounded off right over and it was immediately answered with a gobble about 100 yards away. There is no foliage at all so I slowly eased my gun up to my shoulder.  A few minutes later he pitched out and sailed towards me landing about 75 yards.  I couldn't see him once he got on the ground so I couldn't tell where he was headed.  About 10 minutes pass and he gobbled at another crow about 150 yards the other way.  I then reached down and got a call out. Man a few soft calls and sat there until 9 a.m. without hearing or seeing anything.  Hindsight I wish I'd called to him as soon as he gobbled the first time, it was plenty light for a turkey to be on the ground.  I had my wing out but was afraid he'd see me if I'd tried to "fly down."  Guess that's why they call it hunting.  I'm really second guesing my decisions but it was sure a rush starting the season so close to one.  Going to try them again in the morning.

ridgerunner

In the morning make sure you are where he went today..good chance he will do the same tomorrow am. I'd be setup 150 yards in the direction of the gobbling you heard today, from where you sat today. It makes it so much easier to kill a bird if you set up in the direction he is going....hard to call them back to where they just were...not impossible....but very difficult in my experience on Eastern birds.

ilbucksndux

I have second guessed myself a 100 times over this same situation. If I go try to get in front of him I should have stayed put and if I stay I should have moved.
Gary Bartlow