only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long before sunrise?

Started by hitnmissngrin, February 22, 2012, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Usually 30 minutes before sun up.

turkey_slayer

Im starting to think Im the only one that likes to sleep on here lol. Seriously, most spots are an hour drive, I hunt everyday, need to try and be back by 11 to work for my business then work my other job in the evening and get home around 1030 every night. Get in the bed about midnight and get up around 430-5 and do it again.  If I got up every morning to go sit in the dark for an hour I would be one grouchy man by Friday lol. I know the ridges the birds prefer to roost on so i dont walk in those ways so I'm not worried about having to get in early to let things settle or spooking them off the roost.  If I had to walk across a big wide open field I could see getting in a little earlier than normal but bout all I hunt is mountain birds.

rawalley

Quote from: BowBendr on February 22, 2012, 10:30:35 PM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 22, 2012, 12:48:23 PM
As long as it's dark enough to where I don't think he'll see me I'm good. 10 - 30 minutes before shooting light is plenty.

X2
x3
STAY HOME!

Grunt-N-Gobble

I like to be walking to my spot 30 min. or more before light.  Sometimes more depending on how far I've got to walk.

This time frame also depends if my Dad is hunting with me...........He's a little older now and doesn't move as fast as I do.  He does much better sitting in my DB blind since he can't sit still for long periods due to arthritis, so it takes extra time to get the blind set-up.

My #1 spot is an hour from my house, so I don't have a choice but to get up early.

Oconeeguy

30 min for me. My concern is sneaking in before daylight without a flashlight and bumping a snake in the dark. Never stepped on one but sat down in the dark once and noticed a little brown snake coiled between my legs when my eyes adjusted a few minutes latter. I didn't move and after about 15 min he eased away. Had round pupils so he was not venomous, but he could have been!

We have some big canebrake rattlers in these parts that i would hate to step on in the dark, even with my snake boots, which i always wear.

jakebird

Good and dark. Whatever time that may be. Not unusual to bump some deer, etc so i like to let the woods settle and be either set up on a preroosted bird, a known roosting area, or a good listening vantage point long before the sky begins to brighten. Ive already been in the woods at 3am on occasion when i had a long hike ahead, but typically around 430 to five most times.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

MCase

Quote from: sugarray on February 22, 2012, 12:29:19 PM
I like an hr too.  this gives things time to calm down from moving around in the dark too.

Agree....

bullet355

If I know where a bird is roosted I like to be there set up and ready about an hour before sunrise. If not, I still like to get the woods about an hour early to be the first one at my chosen listening spot.
I use a headlamp with a green lense if I have a ways to walk in the dark, when I get close I switch to a Green Streamlight Pen light and keep it pointed down. I have had several close calls over the years in the dark.
Almost sat on a large rattle snake one year. Sat down with in a foot of him
we he started rattling I almost lost it. I have also injured an eye on 2 occasions in the dark, stuck a limb in one and had a briar catch one, lucky I didn't lose that one. I suggest if your going to walk in the dark get you some clear safety glasses to wear.

AndyH

Usually I like to be at my listening place about 30 mins before daylight. I have one particular spot where birds roost on the edge of a huge field, the only way in to them is to walk across the field. If I'm hunting that spot I'm in there an hour and a half before daylight. There have been times when I haven't been able to sleep and just get up and go sit in the woods. It's very peacful in the woods when it's pitch black out. I don't use a light, never have.

Trax

Well, I just ordered this light.
It's got red and green LEDs, as well as clear and blue.

Reason I asked about light is I hear people talking about and using green LEDs pretty often. Usually when I see deer hunters in fall they're using green as well.

But on the other hand, I've read that birds cannot see red light, and that this is why they use red lights at night in chicken houses, so their keepers can see but the birds will still roost and sleep. Makes sense to me.

Anyone got anymore opinions on Red vs Green?

BERN

Turkeys can most definitely see red.

The gobblers head turns bright red to attract a mate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

golfernash

On roosted birds I usually need an hour. Otherwise 15 minutes before daylight is plenty.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Lunchbox

OLE RASPY

Places i hunt they seldom gobble before breaking daylight i get there bout 15 minutes before day light.I very seldom roost any the night before.I know they there somewhere so i go findem if they dont gobble.

TN Longbeard