OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth Season, what to do

Started by ILHUNTER, April 02, 2015, 12:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILHUNTER

Taking my son youth turkey hunting this weekend.  I have been listening to them for about 2 weeks and only once have they changed there roost site.  The last 5 days they have been in original spot roosted.  These turkeys are still grouped up, 50 in all, 3 toms 15 to 20 jakes and the rest hens.  They consistently come out in one of 2 fields about an hour after fly down.  One field is a top field and the other is in a bottom, about a 100yrd strip of timber seperates them.  They roost in a couple 100 yrds in on a big timber that parallels these fields.  I know they will come to one of these fields but getting them close enough might be the problem.  My plan is to set up in strip between 2 fields about 5 to 10 yards from the top field.  I am thinking about using a jake and hen decoy to help get them closer.  Let me know what you think of my plan and give me any other options you guys can come up with, thanks.

fallhnt

Sounds like a good plan...imo. IL youth season is your biggest problem. 2 days only and hunting hours end at 1:00. Good luck and have fun
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ILHUNTER

Yeah only got 2 days to make it happen and quiting time is at 1.  The weather is suppose to be a lot colder also and start to get windy.

Dtrkyman

Cold frosty early season mornings here will find them on the eastern slope soaking up the sun at fly down, then they will typically get into the open where the sun is until it warms up a bit.

I had an old honey hole I used to guide and after years of hunting the spot finally realized it was so good early due to the sun shining on that hill side, rarely did good there later in the season!

Keep this in mind, looks like it will be frosty for us Saturday morning, wish I still hunted that spot!  I am going to where I killed a bird last year first season, it was 17 degrees that morning and clear, the flock was all over the east side of the ridge above me, I called in a mad hen that I was having a calling contest with and she brought the whole crew, whacked a longbeard at 5 yards, 6 total toms came in with a hand full of hens, I really believe the sun can be key on those chilli morns!

Spurs

Illinois is methodically taking hunting privileges away from outdoorsman.  I worked up there for a year and after I finished reading all the wack-job regs you guys deal with.....I got a whole new respect for our game and fish dept in AR. 

Good luck to your youth....he's gunna be lucky to have a chance to even own a gun up there by the time he comes of age.
This year is going to suck!!!

mgm1955

Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck!!

ILHUNTER

Thanks for the advice guys.  It is going to be a cold morning right around 32 they are saying.  They do seem to hang around on the eastern slope of the hill they roost on for awhile before they come to the fields, just hope we can get them close enough.  Do you think the decoys are a good idea.  Yeah our gun laws in Illinois suck, but we keep on fighting for what is ours and hopefully my son will be able to do the same when he gets older.  I will let you guys know how this weekend turns out.

slawman

IowaGobblers

Good luck! Iowa opens tomorrow as well. But thankfully we have a little over a week (this saturday till next sunday) and afternoons this year. I'll be taking out 3 kids this year. I'm excited for them to smack em! Good luck again!

ILHUNTER

Good luck to you and the 3 kids also, A full week for youth season sure would be nice