OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Nitro vs Federal Turkey Thugs

Started by double drops, February 11, 2014, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double drops

I used the Federal Turkey Thugs last year with really good results out of my 870 12 ga. with a Primos Tight Wad. Has anyone shot these along with the Remington Nitros?  Just curious to see how they performed for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

drum817

This was shot five or more years ago with my Supernova and an IC choke.  Remington nitro 3" #5's at 40 yards...Not my best pattern by a long shot (no pun intended) but it was a dead turkey all day!!!

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mightyjoeyoung

I have never met a Remmy PB Nitro, or otherwise load that could hold a candle to the old or new Federal Non-FC wad PB load of the same wt and pellet size. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 11, 2014, 07:22:03 PM
I have never met a Remmy PB Nitro, or otherwise load that could hold a candle to the old or new Federal Non-FC wad PB load of the same wt and pellet size.

+1000    Federal is and has been my favorite shell forever,and I have to say that the Winchester XX (red) shells are a very close 2nd.
The Remington PB shells have never done any thing for me,in all of the shotguns that I own or have owned,I never got any of them to shoot a Remington PB shell worth a crap.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SCDieselDawg

Remington has proven to be the worst patterning in my guns.

budtripp

Turkey thugs all day long. I've seen several patterns from the nitros and never saw a good one.

Philippe

About the only thing i use the Nitros for is taking long shots at late season squirrels. The turkey thugs will smash them performance wise.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Philippe on February 11, 2014, 09:08:34 PM
About the only thing i use the Nitros for is taking long shots at late season squirrels. The turkey thugs will smash them performance wise.

+100
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

Rem Nitro's= Junk

Better off throwing a handfull of gravel.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

That's not even a horse race.  The Remington Nitros are the worst Turkey Load I've ever tried.

The Federal Turkey Thugs, and All of the Winchester loads have patterned much better for me.

timberjack86

I will have to take a stand! I had old Winchester gun with a 30 inch barrel and fixed full choke that loved the rem nitro. I killed a lot birds with those shells.

timberjack86

That said, I haven't found another gun that likes them. lol

Sparkchaser427

The Remington shells do very good in my gun. The Federal would work but didn't look as good.

davisd9

I killed my first few birds with the Remington Nitros. Most were within 15 yards so it was hard not to. Was before I knew much about patterning a gun as well. I would definitely shoot the #5 Turkey thugs and about any other load over the rems now that I know half way what I am doing.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 28, 2014, 08:56:21 PM
I killed my first few birds with the Remington Nitros. Most were within 15 yards so it was hard not to. Was before I knew much about patterning a gun as well. I would definitely shoot the #5 Turkey thugs and about any other load over the rems now that I know half way what I am doing.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Sounds a lot like my experience, Donald. I killed my first gobbler with 3" #4 rem nitros, and all I can say was the stars were aligned that day! Last day of the season, and my biggest gobbler to date!
I agree. Worst turkey shell out there, except for those Hornaday shells.
If I am gonna shoot lead, Federal all the way. Gonna pick up some thugs to see what kind of numbers I can get. Looking for a good 30 and under shell for those "deep woods timber" encounters!