OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia turkeys

Started by SSCsnood, February 26, 2020, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSCsnood

Possibly visiting Virginia this coming spring and wondering if it will be worth the license/permit costs based on the county I will be visiting. Greene Co. it appears has a very low population based on DNR numbers. If I go it will be on a sizable chunk of private land and the landowner has no idea of turkey numbers on the property. Also wondering about any nearby state land worth trying. What is the general opinion on turkey numbers in this area from Virginia hunters. Thanks in advance for any info!  :OGani:

Tunaguy

SSC, Not a Virginia native but I did hunt there last year with my son. He is living there now. He scouted some state land a week before the season and came back with good reports. Tracks and gobbling. We hunted there about a week after the season started and got skunked. We saw one hen and a jake after shooting hours.  I would concentrate on your private land. Can you get there a day or so early? I know they are on the state land but very shy once the season starts. Good luck .   Tunaguy
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

fordhunt

If it was me id make take a good scouting trip I've hunted va for years and I think the population is way down in the co of bland where I hunted .may be worth the trip before you spend $200 .IMO

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a good contact up there.  I'll try and find out and report back.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

SSCsnood

Thanks for the info guys. The landowner says he's seen turkeys in the past but not on many occasions, he doesn't spend very much time there as he lives in NY most of the year. Just looking at DNR stuff it seems that counties population is "very low". You never know when talking about private though.

SSCsnood

Also, the place is near a town called Stanardsville if anyone is familiar with the area.

Dtrkyman

Contact a local biologist or warden, if it is a large chunk of land you may have a honey hole?

SSCsnood

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 27, 2020, 10:05:48 AM
Contact a local biologist or warden, if it is a large chunk of land you may have a honey hole?

Dtrkyman, that is what I am hoping!