Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 Ole TN Longbeards tastes Xtended Range-4 yr monkey off my back!

Started by spitndrum, April 03, 2011, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitndrum

Well I couldn't be more tickled, finally after 4 tuff years since I last harvested a bird I made it happen today.  The Season is looking up simply because I have a lease that has birds on it, I have hunted Public corp land in jackson co since about 05', and yes they have been birds die there as well as my biggest ever but its still hunted to death. This morning I felt good about the spot and me and strutucut took off up the mountain, heard one gobble then 3 more in the total oppisite direction.  I'm gone I said and went to the trio that was gobbling, after approching the ridge I thought I had em pinned on Well I was wrong they was further so here we go again back on the ole feet hammered down, finally after 45 minutes to an hour I finally get to where I know there within 100 yards.  Got settled about 630 and yelped a little bit, he never gobbled at me??? Ok thats fine I chilled and thought to myself I'll give you boys about an hour to show up or leave and I'm gonna move in on you as they was working the ridge back and forth.  Finally I tried another sequence on the woodhaven diaphram HE HAMMERS IT and I cut him off and cut aggressive to him.  Heard leaves crunching and got ready they gobbled less than 40 yards from me but I couldnt see em due to the bench they was under. He blew into strut and finally I see a white and blue head but it was over to the right a little, wasn't out of reach but I had to move. So he was staring at me drumming looking for the hen, I get my safety off and start easing to him ever so slowly...Gobble dot hit his head and I squeezed it off at 25ish and got up and my heart sank I heard birds running flying off etc etc.  I thought dang it brandon you missed again whats wrong with you as I expected to see a flopping bird making all kinds of noise in the leaves, I jump the log that he was standing behind and there GRAVEYARD DEAD he laid. Never moved a muscle. YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS finally again I get to experience this again and it only took 20 minutes,  its been a long road the last 4 years I have definatly had my opportunities no doubt just blew em due to stupidity or stupidity.  I called my wife in tears and she new, I said I'm sorry for waking you but I have done it I kicked that Monkey in the  right off my back!

Sorry for the long post I pumped to get back in the groove I feel!
For those that didnt get text from me this morning You actually was supposed to, everyone on here that I have there number had one incoming but my phone thought different and as I walked off the mountain it cut the text off.  My dad and Mom didnt even know heck neither did my hunting buddy Jon and he heard me shoot :crazy: BTW he killed #2 this morning about 930 off the same saddle I shot at 650 :D

Good morning indeed!

19 3/4lbs
9 inch beard
3/4 Right Spur
3/8 left spur (broken)

OLE RASPY

Good job nice turkey and i like that second pic thats a good pic. :icon_thumright:

pittboss

Congrats :icon_thumright: Glad to see that you got that monkey off your back :you_rock:

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

cannonball

Congrats! The "graveyard dead" remark make me chuckle. I used to have a hunting buddy that used it all the time. :icon_thumright:

JVA54

harvester

RutnNStrutn

Beautiful bird!! Love your excitement and enthusiasm!! Congrats to you and your friend!!

Trip

spitndrum

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 03, 2011, 09:36:02 PM
Beautiful bird!! Love your excitement and enthusiasm!! Congrats to you and your friend!!

Thank you Sir!

Basser69

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!