Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your longest successful hunt in hours/minutes?

Started by WildTigerTrout, April 29, 2013, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

I will start it off. My longest hunt from first gobble to dropping the hammer was 2 hours and 5 minutes! It was 2012 here in Pa. on the second day of the season. I heard him gobble at 945am and killed him at 1150am. I moved on him three different times and switched calls twice. I called him off a property I cannot hunt and got him to cross a barbed wire fence that separates the two properties. He required ALOT of coaxing to get him in range but I finally did it with only 10 minutes to spare as you must stop hunting at 12 noon. By far my best turkey hunt to date with the exception of my son's first gobbler. That hunt with him two weeks ago will always be #1 in my book. ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

eddie234

It was about45 minutes. It was 2011, i picked him up at about 11am and was calling every so often and he would gobble every time I did. It got to be 11:30 and he still hadn't come in, I figured I'd just stop calling. We have to quit at noon also, he would either come in or I'd back out and try again the next day. About 11:45 I saw his head coming up over the hill, he didn't know what hit him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

howl

'bout six hours more than once. If you can keep fooling with a henned-up bird through the morning until at least ten or so, it's apt to come looking for you after the hens leave. This is especially true if you can get it real fired up toward the end. An uncle told me that. I have proven him right several times. Set up in the shade, take a nap, wake up and kill the turkey.

catman529

Only been turkey hunting 3 years. This year probably had the longest hunt for a bird. It was bird #3 for the season. Bird #1 took 1 hour to call in from the first gobble to the kill, 10-11 am. Bird #2 took 6 or 7 minutes to call in, right at sunset, although I had been hunting all day and had worked another bird in the morning for a good while only to clean miss him after calling him off private land onto public.

Back to bird #3, he took the longest out of any turkey I've hunted if I am not mistaken. Although I was not aware of the specific longbeard at first. From the time I walked up on the first red head at 7:47 am, till the time I dropped the big bird at 1:20 pm, that's almost 6 hours. When I walked up on red heads in the morning, they slowly walked away, and I froze and dropped under a tree without spooking them much. Turned out there was a flock of hens near me in the woods, sometimes raising hell and fighting, and 3 jakes gobbling fairly often. I tried aggressive calling, soft calling, waiting, taking a nap only to wake up to another gobble... I knew there should be a longbeard in there somewhere. Finally heard the first full-grown gobble at 11:15 am. He hung around the hens of course, as I gradually stalked my way closer.  Finally I could see hens, a couple jakes, and the strutting tom. A while later they had calmed down and I saw the tom preening in a field edge. I snuck painstakingly out to the field, almost getting busted by the jakes on the way. Finally made it to the cover of the tall grass in the field edge, and saw the tom strutting out in the field.  The hen he was with led him right past me at 35-40 yards and I killed him. 

Got most of the hunt on video, from gobbling on the roost till the bird was killed.  It's right here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9JAuwpACY Also includes a little of my 4th bird of the year.

Bird #1 and #2 also on video, for those who didn't see me post a few weeks ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nBTBFk520

troutfisher13111

I hunted one for a little longer than 4 hours one morning. He gobbled for the first half hour then left with hens. Experience told me to wait till mid morning and he would be back after the hens started sitting. Sure enough it worked again, he just took a little longer than usual.:D

WNY Bowhunter

Mine was about 10 years ago while hunting with a buddy at college.  I started them off from the roost @ 5:10.  A last resort fighting purr sequence ended the hunt @ 9:20 with a double... :icon_thumright:.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

DirtNap647

Onpoint

About 6 hours, maybe a little longer. I Got on him on the roost and finally a little after 12 I had a nice 4 year old gobbler. One of the hardest birds I ever killed.

rev

Newbie to turkey hunting, this is my 4th year, last year was 3 days, he out smarted me the first two days, 3rd day I took it personal. Instead of chasing him for miles,I was to tired to run and gun. Finally figured out that we had crossed the same part of the woods a few times, I just set my butt down and he walked right to me, we became best of friends after that,
Yep, that old turkey taught me something my high school teachers used to tell me, "man are you slow" but once I'm taught something I will never forget it.
So this morning, it took me longer to walk to my spot then to bag my 22lb turkey, my guess was 15 minutes from the time I set down to start walking out with him arms to arms, meet another good friend

barry

Just last week I had a hunt that from first gobble to kill was nearly 4 hours.
I once had a hunt that went over 6 hrs only to end up missing the shot with my crossbow, now that was exhausting!

fsu33952

I heard one gobble first time 545am and killed him at about 130pm. I have got on them in the morning and they gobble a while and shut up. I would get as close as I could tell to where I thought they roosted and hid and stayed still. Several times I have had them walk up around lunch time, but most of the Time they would come up and be scratching around 330pm getting ready to fly up. You can just scratch in the leaves a little and he might just walk over to look. I have had bad luck with calling, cause to me they seem more alert and bust you quicker in the evening. I sat on one once till lunch time and he was gobbling and walking. I get up to the truck and that sucker was about 30 yards from my truck. Old gobbler too, bout a 4 year old. When I walked up he was close enough to shoot. As smart as they can be, sometimes they do some dumb stuff.