turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinion about a last minute youth load

Started by WNCTracker, April 07, 2018, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Last minute decision to take my son out tomorrow. I do not have a 20 ga as he said all year he wanted to wait until next year and today changed his mind. I hate to put him on a longbeard 3" 12 ga without preparation.  Would you use a high brass 2 3/4 shell?  Or even a low brass load and keep shots to 15 yds or just scrap the idea altogether until next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

WNCTracker

9 yrs old and solid muscle. He shot a deer with my .308 last fall 165 gr bullet

owlhoot

A 2 3/4 " duck and pheasant lead load would probably work to 30 yards. Of course pattern first is always your best option.
Heck he might be ok with what you got. Auto or pump gun ,auto will of course help with recoil if gas operation.

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 08:48:49 AM
A 2 3/4 " duck and pheasant lead load would probably work to 30 yards. Of course pattern first is always your best option.
Heck he might be ok with what you got. Auto or pump gun ,auto will of course help with recoil if gas operation.
SBE3 inertia. Recoil is less than SBE2 as well...I've got some pheasant liads

owlhoot

I would throw one on a pattern board at 30and see what you have.

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:08:01 AM
It's a bad situation because I've been out of state for 2 weeks, get back tonight, and can only hunt in AM tomorrow with him. It's not how I'd plan it. When I broke in the gun, I patterned it with everything I had on hand just to shoot it.....including with pheasant loads and it wasn't real dense at more than 30 but would easily kill at 20-25 yd. I'm tempted to put him behind the 3" shell and rely on adrenaline but that is not how I would like to break him in.  I'm curios about the recoil vs the .308

Dtrkyman

imho that 3 inch shell will stomp his a--, a pheasant type load or heavy game load in the 12 should out do the 20, when my nephews were around that age we shot 12 ga. pheasant loads, good to 30 or so.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 07, 2018, 09:22:49 AM
imho that 3 inch shell will stomp his a--, a pheasant type load or heavy game load in the 12 should out do the 20, when my nephews were around that age we shot 12 ga. pheasant loads, good to 30 or so.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with the pheasant loads. I don't want a kid with a fear of shooting or a flinch.

SteelerFan

Here are some real numbers:

http://chuckhawks.com/compared_rifle_shotgun_recoil.html

That 3" is gonna thump.

Good grip + adrenalin + live bird = unnoticed.

Loose grip + gun slightly off shoulder = punch in the face?

If it were me, I'd go lighter load and closer shot. Worse case is you get to watch a bird strut and gobble at 40 yards. Still a great hunt experience! (best case, bird works to 25 yds and he gets a shot)

owlhoot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:15:50 AM
It's a bad situation because I've been out of state for 2 weeks, get back tonight, and can only hunt in AM tomorrow with him. It's not how I'd plan it. When I broke in the gun, I patterned it with everything I had on hand just to shoot it.....including with pheasant loads and it wasn't real dense at more than 30 but would easily kill at 20-25 yd. I'm tempted to put him behind the 3" shell and rely on adrenaline but that is not how I would like to break him in.  I'm curios about the recoil vs the .308

What did you have in the 10" at 30 with the pheasant loads?

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:41:03 AM

Can't remember exactly but less than 100

owlhoot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:44:57 AM

if around 80 or more a lot of guys say your good , back long ago that is about what most had is 30 yard guns and lots of turkey were killed.
I would take the boy with that and get 30 and under and kill one.

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:44:57 AM

if around 80 or more a lot of guys say your good , back long ago that is about what most had is 30 yard guns and lots of turkey were killed.
I would take the boy with that and get 30 and under and kill one.
That's how I started.

zelmo1

GO with the pheasant load and keep the shots reasonable, close is good. If you have a rest for him it will be a big help