OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rookie wondering what chair or vest to buy?

Started by Life of Riley, May 18, 2016, 06:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

Thanks for the advice, I got the gobbler lounger chair at cabelas today on sale. I think I still might get a tat'r 2 vest and remove the cushion if I'll be bringing the chair.

Marc

The Tat'r-2 vest is a good vest overall...  I just bought one this season, and would purchase another. 

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bayou Gold

Bought a Tatr 2 before season.  Liked it so much that I bought another at end of season once they went on sale.

Not sure if true, but heard somewhere Bass Pro was buying Cabelas...maybe a rumor but would hate to see that vest discontinued

Kwgoke

Quote from: Marc on May 19, 2016, 10:07:45 PM
The Tat'r-2 vest is a good vest overall...  I just bought one this season, and would purchase another.

X2

stinkpickle

BTW, you can wedge a Gobbler Lounger seat in the game bag of a Super Elite III vest.  Just put the feet in first.  It's a handy way to carry it, but you might have to leave the bottom snap undone in the front, and it might get tight maneuvering through really thick stuff.   ;)

Happy

I don't think I will ever use a chair. Mobility means to much to me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Life of Riley

Quote from: Happy on May 21, 2016, 08:13:50 AM
I don't think I will ever use a chair. Mobility means to much to me.

I've used the gobbler lounger two days now and it is really nice. That being said if I had my vest right now I'd probably hunt with just that with what I've seen so far. First season going and glad to be figuring things out now, really dieing to get that first turkey!

sixbird

I bought a Cabelas vest a number of years ago. It has a wheel barrow inner tube as a seat. You talk about comfy!
I'm sure, with a little ingenuity, a guy could make a cover for an inner tube that snapped onto his vest. OR just put a sling on one and carry it that way...
I can tell ya', you won't find anything easier on the bum than an inner tube...
If it gets a hole, a tire patch takes care of it in a couple of minutes...They even sell them with slime already in them for leakage resistance...

jonathan creason

I've been using my stadium seat that I take to football games the past couple of years.  It's nice and comfy, but man is that thing heavy.  The main thing it has going for it is that it's paid for.  Hopefully I'll be able to scratch up enough change to upgrade before next season.

The main thing I like about using a chair is I'm not limited to where I can set up comfortably.  One of the farms I hunt has a lot of old hedges and multiflora rose patches, with nothing to set up against.  With the seat I can trim out a little pocket and disappear.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: fallhnt on May 19, 2016, 01:08:40 PM
Check walmart. $15 for the gobbler lounger style

I thought these things were to keep you up off the ground?

Tomcat655

Quote from: EZ on May 19, 2016, 05:41:32 AM
Best advice I can give someone just getting started is keep light, practical and mobile. Learn how to "hunt" turkeys in any given situation.

Roger that rabbit

captpete

Quote from: wvmntnhick on June 04, 2016, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: fallhnt on May 19, 2016, 01:08:40 PM
Check walmart. $15 for the gobbler lounger style

I thought these things were to keep you up off the ground?

They do for the most part, but if the vegitation is very tall at all, it will be hitting the bottom of the chair. You are only sitting just a couple of inches off the ground.

I have both the Cabela's and Walmart chairs. There is VERY little difference in them except the price. The only real difference is the Walmart chair has strap to carry it & the Cabela's has a bag to store it/carry it.

As far as vest goes I had a Super Elite III and din't really care for it. I looked at the Cabela's and ended up getting the Tat'er 3 instead of the 2. I like the pot call pocket on the 3 better than the 2. The calls are easier to get of the 3. If I was going to get a new vest I would probably get a Bass Pro Bucklick Creek vest. I used one for about 10 years and it has been my favorite vest.

Swampchickin234

I bought a gobbler lounger last year before season from walmart.  It weighed 6 pounds  I thought to myself I will only occasionally hunt in this. Was I wrong. In 2 seasons I have hunted 3 times without one and that was to take of sprinting on a bird I had to move on.  I thought they would be too heavy, but now I've just decided that 6 pounds is worth the comfort and ability to sit still.  Was u. Walmart last week and they had some for 9 bucks!    By a lounger and don't look back!   
I like a super elite vest. I like ol tom,, etc etc.  you just have to try em on and see what works for ya. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life of Riley

I just looked on Walmart s website and the least expensive hunting chair is 20 bucks.