OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How close to the roost?

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 03, 2016, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

The birds on one particular farm I hunt generally roost close to the same spot every night. Sometimes they roost in one end of the ridge and sometimes in the other end. There's an old logging road that runs right down the middle of the ridge that they use a lot. Everything is covered in leaves though so it's hard to be quiet when slipping in in the morning. My question is if I go in plenty early while everything is still pitch dark will I still run the risk of bumping birds off the roost if they happen to be roosted on the end of the ridge that I come in on?

MK M GOBL

You could easily bump them if they are on the end you enter, are you "roosting" the night before or in the morning so you know where they are?

MK M GOBL

ThunderChickenGetter

I have a tough time getting birds to gobble in the evening here. I usually wait until it's light enough for them to start gobbling but by then it's hard to get in tight if they have hens with them, especially in early season when the leaves are off.

MK M GOBL

I know for me I have what would be a similar hunt area with a logging road running out to the end of a wooded point and the birds typically roost on the end of the point, at times they do roost near where the road starts going in from a field. Early in the year before things green up I am set-up on that field where the road goes in, after it greens up I have been in closer than 50 yards to the roost. These birds tend to use the logging road when heading out to the field.

MK M GOBL

dirt road ninja

The age old question!!! I have bumped a few trying to get the extra 10 yards on them. That said, I do the same as you wait till the crank up and ease in on them. In the dark, I've sat on trees with them in it, so you can get close when it is dark. Folk say they can't see in the dark or that red light does bother them. It's BS,  assume they see in the dark better than us. Also, while not used much in spring hunting, bumping birds off the roost and getting the gobbler away from the majority of the hens will tend to make him more vocal on the ground when they settle down and it gives you an idea of where to be to get between them. I don't do it on purpose, but will not get overly mad at myself if it does happen.

Farmboy27

In the dark you can get right tight to them.  Remember, turkeys hear deer and other animals walking around in the dark all the time.  If they got spooked every time they heard something in the dark they would be scared nonstopped!  If you can't locate them the night before then try to listen more to the hens in the morning than the gobblers.  If there are hens close by I try to get as close as I can.  That might be 50 yards or 150 yards depending on the terrain and foliage.  If there are no hens I might be a bit more conservative and stay a bit farther away as to not push my luck.  Its one of those things that you have to develop your own system and know just how much you want to push your luck.  That's what makes it so much fun!!

Dr Juice

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 03, 2016, 10:58:33 AM
In the dark you can get right tight to them.  Remember, turkeys hear deer and other animals walking around in the dark all the time.  If they got spooked every time they heard something in the dark they would be scared nonstopped!  If you can't locate them the night before then try to listen more to the hens in the morning than the gobblers.  If there are hens close by I try to get as close as I can.  That might be 50 yards or 150 yards depending on the terrain and foliage.  If there are no hens I might be a bit more conservative and stay a bit farther away as to not push my luck.  Its one of those things that you have to develop your own system and know just how much you want to push your luck.  That's what makes it so much fun!!
Well said but a little more conservative and would not attempt to get closer than 75-yards from the roost site. Good luck. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double B

I don't get as close as I used to.  Bump a few and it makes the last few yards seem.....not so important.  I do try to read the terrain and see what I think the bird will do.  Then I usually do the opposite,  lol.  Works pretty well!   Seriously,  each setup is unique  and you have to think them through, but make a decision and go with it.  Also I will move after he's  on the ground in certain situations in order to get a more advantageous position.  Sometimes a shift in position helps keep it real, but be careful if other hunters in your area.
Followed by buzzards

silvestris

I like to get as close as I can; a lot can happen between him and you.  That said, it is all situational.  If you make the wrong decision and take one step too many, the Cardinals and Carolina Wrens sure sound pretty.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bowguy

I routinely walk under hens. I try n roost the night before n usually know where the birds are roosted. My daughters know we go early n take a step at a time. Any noises n we stop for a bit. We even open cattle gates without waking the birds. When they do wake especially if you know where they are, you simply stay still til they tuck back up. I preferably get close enough to easily see them. Early season if you aren't sure which side of property they're on, look up., the birds will be visible in the trees in dark

GobbleNut

A couple of additional points to be made.  First, even if your gobblers tend not to gobble in the evenings, on a calm evening, turkeys flying up to roost can be heard from a long ways off.  If you check out one roost site and you don't hear them flying up, then you can be pretty certain they are at the other one.

As far as how close to get to the roost, get as close as you can,...if for no other reason, the closer you are, the more likely they are to fly down within range.  Also, if I have been working a bird during the season without success in getting him to come to me, at some point if I am frustrated enough with him, I will just move in tight to the area he normally flies down and ambush him when he flies down. 

Although I rarely reach that point with a gobbler,...Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to put a bird out of your misery!    :toothy12: ;D

WyoHunter

I like to get in close but if I know the route they travel I'll set up along it. It's easier to get them to come to you if they are heading in your direction after they fly down.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Happy

Ideal setup for me is 60  to 100 yards. I like to call them a little ways before I thump them. However I have been pretty tight to them a couple times and it is fun to see them gobble and strut on a branch at 20 yards. Believe me it ain't a sure thing even then. Had one tom fly directly away from me at the roost. He had his eyes on some hens and I just couldn't sound sexy enough. Also I find that early in the year I have to set up further away due to lack of foliage.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Couple years ago I heard a bird gobble in the hard dark. Literally 45 minutes to an hour before the first ray of light even thought about poking through the trees. Figured it a fluke so continued on my path to get my permission slip from the location in which the farmer left it. Halfway there, I heard it again. Figured I'd just go ahead and get ready and would grab the permission slip later. Got the gear and headed to the woods. The bird wouldn't gobble again and found myself standing beneath a big oak tree waiting to hear him sound off one more time but no dice. Got birds fired up across the field only to hear the first bird gobble one more time. He was in the tree that I stood under waiting for enough daylight to see where I was headed. Tree was maybe 10-12 yards behind me. Turned just enough to see him strutting on the limb. Kept my mouth shut after that and he flew down 70 yards to my right only to loop back to within 35 yards of the gun barrel. Close can be a good thing when dealing with the right bird. Not the case with others.