OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling on public land?

Started by ScottS, April 13, 2015, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottS

I know this has probably been asked before but I was just curious how everyone calls on public land?

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

CntrlPA

Less is more. Light is probably too loud. Don't be afraid to scratch the ground. Calling doesn't matter as much as avoiding other hunters.

ScottS

So sticking to clucks, purrs, and soft yelps is the way to go? No cutting or excited calling?

woody328

Quote from: ScottS on April 13, 2015, 08:58:18 PM
So sticking to clucks, purrs, and soft yelps is the way to go? No cutting or excited calling?

As a general rule of thumb, probably so. Very dependent on the particulars of the place you are hunting, how the bird is reacting, etc. I called quite a bit to some public land birds I was hunting a couple weeks ago, but I had coordinated with the others hunting the land and the bird seemed to want aggressive calling. I try and avoid calling much in most public land situations, mostly to avoid other hunters.

Ihuntoldschool

I don't call any different because I am on public land.  Turkeys are turkeys, I let the bird, breeding phase, weather, terrain and other factors determine when and how much to call.  I definitely do not call any less/different based solely on the fact I am on public land.

Kylongspur88

Depends on the pressure and what the bird wants. More calling generally means more gobbling which attracts other hunters. Best not to over call in any situation.

TRG3

I'm fortunate in that I now have some private land to hunt; however, there was a time that public hunting was all I had and I found birds that would work by walking at least 20 minutes from the road. In the several years that I did this, I only saw one other guy who made that much effort to get away from the road huggers. This was in the Shawnee National Forrest in Pope County, Illinois, where I used topography maps to find the most remove places that most people wouldn't hunt because it was too much trouble to get back there.

turkey_slayer

I call loud, aggressive, soft, passive and everything in between. I do what I think will get him killed. 20 minute walk here and you will be overrun with hunters. When you start getting around 2 miles in then you start weeding out the competition.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 13, 2015, 09:24:15 PM
I don't call any different because I am on public land.  Turkeys are turkeys, I let the bird, breeding phase, weather, terrain and other factors determine when and how much to call.  I definitely do not call any less/different based solely on the fact I am on public land.
+1  :z-winnersmiley:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Triple Gobble

I think one important thing to public
Land hunting is getting as close to the birds
As possible. It seems like if your right there
With them, they are more willing to come
In to check it out. 
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

steveo

Let em tell you what they want, if vocal then play along if not vocal then play along, it can change daily. Sometimes you just have to hunt them like deer if nothing works.....

owlhoot

Would depend on the amount of hunters on the land.

If light pressure on the birds , calling aggressive should not hurt.

if heavy hunter pressure, go soft .

Remember that the more you keep him gobbling , the more runners and gunners will be a coming to you.

The further from everyone else the better, wear out some boot leather.

ScottS

Good to hear everyone's different opinions. Lots of knowledge on this forum!

howl

Most people yelp loudly and often on a walmart box call. That is, when they are not walking around imitating a crow slowly flying around about six feet off the ground.