turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoys while solo

Started by tippatah, March 23, 2015, 10:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippatah

Do you always bring decoys when hunting solo? I ask this because I've read that when hunting woods it is better to not use decoys because it forces the Tom to search for the hen. However, this morning I had three toms gobbling on the roost and then come looking for me. They were at 60 yards to my left gobbling their head off, I stayed quiet. Then they moved behind me and started moving further away. I did a couple soft little yelps, the answered and moved to my right about 30 yards. I couldn't get a shot as they were in a little defilade. They gobbled there for at least 15 minutes lookin for that hen. Finally they moved back to my left still searching and eventually gave up. I feel like if I would have had my decoys out I'd be cleaning a dead bird right now. So my question remains, do yall usually bring decoys when hunting alone and is there anything I could have done different? 

zelmo1

:newmascot: I am a decoy user and believe they work. This is turkey hunting according to me. Everyone has a way of doing the same thing differently, not wrong, just different. Use what works for you and you are comfortable doing. We do this because we enjoy it. Only my 2 cents. Al Baker

stinkpickle

I never had much luck getting a bird to come back in after he's already gone past me...decoy or not. 

Bowguy

I use my hand to direct the calls in the direction I want them to go. It has worked. Sounds like dekes couldn't have hurt you there

Greenshed Longbeard

If you want to use decoys use them it doesn't matter if your in woods or a pasture the idea is to position the bird coming in for a shot opportunity
Greenshed Longbeard

eddie234

Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. First time I used them they worked as they were supposed to, pulled it my tom like he was on a string. Last year had one hang up just out of range gobbling and strutting trying to get the deke to come to him. It's hard to say if a deke would have helped you or not. I know its not a great answer but welcome to turkey hunting. What works today may not work tomorrow.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

tippatah

Thanks for the input. I'll be at it again tomorrow, probably put the decoys out and they'll hang up because of them, haha. I love it

redmag

I use a decoy early in the season before the woods have filled out.  For the most part with positive results.  Later in the season I haven't had as much success, I guess due to the ground cover and possibly hunting pressure pressure.  I'd use them tomorrow because you can be no worse off than you were today.

jcour4

I used decoys a lot when I first started turkey hunting. One day I ran out to the woods after sleeping in, it was about 9am and I didn't feel like lugging a decoy around. I struck up a bird and called him right in and killed him. After that I started using decoys less and now I never bring a decoy when I hunt. I've seen turkeys come running to a decoy, but I can honestly say I don't think I've missed out on killing a turkey because I didn't have a decoy. Those birds that run to decoys usually are so fired up they'll come to just a call. If you want to use a decoy then give it a try no sense in overthinking it.

Marc

Quote from: jcour4 on March 23, 2015, 09:58:27 PM
I've seen turkeys come running to a decoy, but I can honestly say I don't think I've missed out on killing a turkey because I didn't have a decoy.

I have the same impression...

I do believe there are a number of birds I would have killed if I did not have a decoy, and last season, two birds in particular come to mind...  Decoys banging around as you are walking, getting busted while trying to set them up running & gunning, birds expecting the hen to come to them, birds getting frightened of even the most meek looking jake decoys, etc...  All the birds I have killed the past two years where hunts were I was too lazy to lug around the decoys...

I do think that a pair of decoys could be helpful if hunting a large open area (in my case a large clearing or meadow, in most cases a field)...  It can also be helpful when taking a newbie or bow-hunting, as you can place the decoys where you want the shot, take the birds attention off the shooter.

I will say that I will probably put out at least a pair of decoys when I do use them though...  A jake and a hen...  Seems like when I only put out a hen, the birds hang up more than they commit....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

porcupine

With marc on this one.....however i enjoy the interaction with the decoy...and the sound of it getting wing whipped so i use them 90%of the time....but some days it is just fun sneaking throughout the great outdoors with just a call and a bow :funnyturkey:

snapper1982

I always have a decoy with me and put it out anytime that time allows me to. With that said I have had no problems killing birds without it out as well.

Honolua

Depends...not so much early season. I think hen decoys hangs them up a lot. Tom dekes can do the same... If I'm gonna use a deke I'll take a single jake that's what works best for me. As season goes on dekes work better as they get more fired up.

TRG3

I use the nylon sack that my Pretty Boy came it to carry my decoys, rain gear, etc. whether I'm in the woods or field. To me, the decoys help "sell" the idea of my calling when they give a visual image for the gobbler to focus on instead of catching my minute motions. My set up may include a Pretty Boy or Funkey Chicken plus a hen in the breeding position and a feeding hen. My greatest concern regardless of whether I'm in the woods or field is that I may have too much gobbler decoy and keep a subordinate tom from coming on in because he feels intimidated. Interestingly, I shot a gobbler one year that would actually sit on his butt each time he displayed (he never gobbled), obviously a feeling of intimidation caused by my Pretty Boy. Having said that, I also took a gobbler deep in the woods that only had three tail feathers but came in to my Pretty Boy none-the-less. In summary, that's the thing I like about turkey hunting in that it's never the same twice and far from being predictable. My decoys are not heavy even though they are somewhat cumbersome; however, if I have them I also have the option to use them, especially if I later decide to set up in a nearby field that's too far back to the truck to get my decoys.

jbranham63

On occasion I will use decoys but for the most part hunt without decoys by myself.