OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hens but no toms

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 06, 2015, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

Ive been running a cam for the past couple weeks and have got tons of pics of hens but havent neen any toms on there yet. Should i try to find where the toms are or is it like deer hunting where if you "find the ladies the men will come"

Matt.Wilson

You have turkeys. Stay put. Not seeing gobblers means nothing this time of year. They will show up

Kylongspur88

Changes are coming. Don't worry about it. You've got hens so that's a big plus.

Marc

Last season, before the season, I had a ranch with 10-12 toms on it, and a handful of hens...

As the season approached, there were only 3 toms that I ever knew about and a lot more hens...

Not quite sure how those fights for dominance work, but I do think that both dominant hens and toms change things up...  In the past, I have noted that where there are hens now, almost certainly there will be toms, and where there are a lot of toms, there will be hens, and less toms...  At least is seems that way to me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gooserbat

A month from now things will have changed.  Like someone all ready said you have turkeys so stay put.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BABS9

Where there are hens there will most certainly be toms.

zelmo1

:hb2: Stay put. The boys will find the girls

TauntoHawk

The gobblers are probably all flocked together right now but they should start breaking apart soon and spreading around. I've seen it go both ways I hunt a place where the gobblers winter and it's nothing to see 30+ bearded birds while deer hunting. It would be one loud mountain if they all stuck around for spring but they don't they spread all out and come back in the winter.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ThunderChickenGetter

Yeah I had 2 good birds start showing up with those hens when the warm weather moved in so hopefully they'll hang around.