OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shell "strategy"

Started by bamagtrdude, March 26, 2014, 04:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

GomerPyle & I were chit-chatting just now in the office, about a good 1-2 shell combination when loading up your turkey gun. 

In previous years, I'd been loading up with all blended custom shells (similar to MagBlends).  This year, I've decided to go with a blended 1st shot & a Winchester Longbeard XR as my back-up shell.  The thought being that the blended shot has a good up-close pattern, while the Longbeard XR would work well if a follow-up (ie longer) shot is needed.

Just curious how others are loading up their guns this year.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Skeeterbait

First second and third are the same shell.  Don't put any more in.  It will kill from close to far, so I don't see any need for anything different.  Make the first count and don't need the second.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 26, 2014, 04:18:42 PM
First second and third are the same shell.  Don't put any more in.  It will kill from close to far, so I don't see any need for anything different.  Make the first count and don't need the second.

Agreed
Romans 8:38-39

GomerPyle

well yeah, Ideally you make the first one count....but things don't always go that way...heck, I got tons of hits on a thread recently I'd started about people who've killed birds with their follow-up shots....so, if you're going to load a 2nd (or 3rd) shell, might as well make the most of it
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

guesswho

First shot is a 150 grain broad head, second is a 125 and third is a 100.   I figure the lighter heads will travel farther.  After the third shot I figure he's out of my effective killing range so I just go look for my three arrows.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

memert116

I've always loaded 3 3" #5's and left it at that.  What you are talking about is thought provoking though because this year I will have a Sumtoy choke rather than a factory full choke.  I'm thinking about loading the first shell as a blend and then follow that up with Winchester XR's #5's pretty much like you.

Gooserbat

I'll use a htl in the pipe and a couple of Win HV for the hail marrys. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

I use three of the same shells usually unless I'm running low and if I am I put my "best" shell in the chamber and whatever I found rattling around in the pockets of my truck doors 2nd and 3rd.

davisd9

Throwing lead at a running Turkey is only going to make him run faster and be more weary. I load two shells in case I encounter two birds.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

RemingtonRules

I pick the shell I have confidence in and go hunt.  If it gets more complicated I cannot understand it. 

Vabirddog

Well, I shoot #6 lead for the first shot and agree, make it count, but I back it up with 4s. Thinking being if for whatever reason the first is not immediately lethal I want something that will break legs, wings and penetrate the body. If the gobbler gets on his feet or tries to take wing I want to immobilize and probably will be shooting "for turkey" not a stationary head.

I can also slip out the 6s and have 4s for Coyote at the ready.

ridgerunner

I use Heavy 13 #6 shot in 3inch, and follow with a 3.5 inch Heavy 13 #6.. one time I needed a follow up shot, and that was because I let the bird get too close and flat missed the first shot, but the second one laid him out..a 3inch would have done the job, but peace of mind I guess.

MKMGOBL

If I miss, I skip on trying to get off a second shot. Instead I'll toss one of these  :icon_thumright:

I see what you're getting at with this but for me, I'm a firm believer in the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) system. For me....havingor trying to keep track of two kinds of loads in my vest doesn't seem to be following that system :TooFunny:

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Gobble!

g8rvet

Mine and son's guns both shoot the Remington Hevi shot 3" #6 in very nice patterns.  Stocked up years ago, but the stock is dwindling (I did not run out and buy any when I knew it was going off the market-yes, I lack foresight).  So now, I load that shell first and just back up the next 2 with the same in the 1 1/2 ounce loads, which still has a nice pattern, but not as pretty.  Have less than 10 left and at our current pace, it will not be long until they are gone and I gotta start patterning a new load.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.