turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New guy and call question

Started by bigquacks, February 27, 2014, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwm1485

I would check out some push button calls. I was looking into one for a closer but the mouth call finally clicked with me.

MEbeardlover

This is borderline heresy, but another option is an electronic call, where legal. My wife likes to turkey hunt, but she does not like to practice the calling! So, in the event we ever have a need to split during a hunt, or if she ever decides on a solo hunt, she has a $35 electronic call to use. Two yelps (soft and excited), a cluck and purr, and some cutting.

I would rather gag, but she sleeps fine!

Swamp Hunter

Try a push-pin call. I used a mouth call for probably 20 years but just got tired of practicing enough to be good with it. I added a push-pin to my collection because a friend told me they were a good call to use in certain situations and I never looked back. A good push-pin has worked for me when my box and pot calls would not. It also works great for close calling because you can operate it with one hand and because you can call softly with it.

appalachianstruttstopper

If you can make turkey noises with a slate and a box call, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about using any other call. The only reason I might suggest a tube call, or wing bone is so you could have a call that was still usable in the rain and high humidity mornings.

If a turkey is commited to you, your job is done 90% of the time. On certain occasions you may have a hen start competing with you after the gobbler is heading your way and you may have to pick a fight with her to convince the tom to continue your direction. But this doesn't happen alot.

A turkey can hear your call for a long ways with precision, and over the years I have learned they know exactly where you are. You can call to a turkey that gobbles so far away you can barely hear him and never make another sound and that turkey can walk to your tree and peck you on the nose.

People new to the sport watching TV sees hunters calling to birds that are already there, all they are wanting is gobbling footage, but all that is show.

Best advice I can give to new hunters is learn the game of patience. Less is more when you are first starting out, chances are, if you think about getting up and moving, don't. Give your choices of setup an oppurtunity to work before second guessing yourself.

And as far as calling goes when you are new, to me it's kinda like learning anything new. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, listen twice as much as you talk, even to turkeys.

tnturkey

I can run a mouth call pretty good but just don't like it that much. I feel like I am more realistic on slate calls. And 99 percent of the time its all I use. I've never been picked off that I know of before using a slate getting those final steps in. I wouldn't worry that much about it. It also helps how you are set up you can hide a lot of movement by setting up different ways.

Vabirddog

Sounds like you are putting the gun up and then needing to move to make another call. You can, if you set up with intention, call the bird in sight and then use trees or the cover to raise your gun. Takes some practice. Wait until the birds head is blocked by a tree or cover THAT IS CLOSE TO THE TURKEY. Make a quick move to shoulder and be still. Very small aiming adjustments can be made S L O W L Y, large adjustment require additional cover. detach slings from your gun as they will swing. This is the same way you make adjustments if your gun is not pointed at a bird when he comes up. This is the way most friction callers transition to the gun. fwiw

DirtNap647

nothing wrong with a box or slate but if you wanna work a mouth call maybe just trim one down a little and just put it in your mouth don't try touse it just move it around and get familiar with it then work up to some air flow

1iagobblergetter

When I first started turkey hunting I only hunted with a box call and a pot and peg call. I killed a lot of turkeys solely with them before learning many other calls and finally with keeping at it the mouth call. How I limited movement is a cheap h.s.strut mesh ground blind. I think there 12 ft long 27inches or so high. I use a little gobbler lounger chair also so I'm comfortable and that helps to sit still for as long as it takes. The blind helps hide hand movement but your not enclosed like a pop up and there lightweight. I still use one even with being able to run a mouthcall. I hunt mainly open fields bordered with timber. You'll get the mouthcall down just keep at it.

memert116

don't give up on the mouth call......try different ones with different types of tape and different sizes and styles.  You WILL get it.... :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

I'm not going to try to convince you to use a mouth call if you simply don't want to. There are other calls that require minimal movement. Primos makes friction pot calls that strap to your leg and allow you to call with very little motion. There are also pushpin type calls that strap to your gun barrel and are activated by a string looped onto your finger. As was already stated, tube calls are fairly easy to learn and trumpet/wingbone types can make incredibly realistic calls.

Good luck.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ridgerunner

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 02, 2014, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: tomstopper on March 01, 2014, 08:18:49 PM
Also get some straps with Velcro and attach your slate  to your leg just above your knee. Allows you to use your slate while keeping you movement concealed....

That's a good idea; I've also used my boots as a make-shift "pocket" to slide my slate & striker into, before taking a shot.  I'd work the slate with the striker behind my knees, and hold the stock of my gun under my armpit.  When he's committed and/or coming to a decoy (if you're using those), you'll have time to get ready & shoot, without much movement.

I use a slate call exclusively...killed too many birds to know how many...my experience has been once a bird commits to the call...I put it down and quit calling make the gobbler come find me...works real well..all a gobbler has to do is hear you and know you're there...these hunting shows kill me when the birds are obviously coming in and they just keep calling and calling hammering the birds...Once they commit throw the call down and get ready to shoot...hasn't failed me yet..most turkey hunters ruin more hunts by overcalling than they ever know. How many live hen's do you hear in the Spring woods calling incessantly like a lot of these TV wanna be hunter do? Hardly ever...pay attention to the natural sounds a turkey makes in the woods, let the turkey's teach you how to call. I never had an issue using a slate call concerning movement.

silvestris

Don't give up on the mouth caller, but cut down on the other callers when your bird goes silent on you to increase the time you are motionless.  Call once every 15-20 minutes and stay motionless between calls.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

bigquacks

I have gave up on mouth calls as my gag reflex is too bad. I have worked on my slate calling and hope it works out. Havent got a trumpet call to try yet. This morning it didn't matter as they gobbled 400 miles away across a river and about 5 pieces of property away. Not the opening morning I wanted but the season is long. 

ridgerunner

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 13, 2014, 10:43:30 PM
If you can make turkey noises with a slate and a box call, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about using any other call. The only reason I might suggest a tube call, or wing bone is so you could have a call that was still usable in the rain and high humidity mornings.

If a turkey is commited to you, your job is done 90% of the time. On certain occasions you may have a hen start competing with you after the gobbler is heading your way and you may have to pick a fight with her to convince the tom to continue your direction. But this doesn't happen alot.

A turkey can hear your call for a long ways with precision, and over the years I have learned they know exactly where you are. You can call to a turkey that gobbles so far away you can barely hear him and never make another sound and that turkey can walk to your tree and peck you on the nose.

People new to the sport watching TV sees hunters calling to birds that are already there, all they are wanting is gobbling footage, but all that is show.

Best advice I can give to new hunters is learn the game of patience. Less is more when you are first starting out, chances are, if you think about getting up and moving, don't. Give your choices of setup an oppurtunity to work before second guessing yourself.

And as far as calling goes when you are new, to me it's kinda like learning anything new. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, listen twice as much as you talk, even to turkeys.

X2 couldn't say it any better than this.

lung

I stumbled across these mouth calls. There are several types of reed style, but the concept is the same with the dome. I too gagged a lot when using a mouth call. This type allowed me to push it as far forward as to fit the dome into the roof of my mouth.

Best of luck to you, hope you get this figured out.

http://www.primos.com/products/turkey-calls/sonic-dome-triple-with-bat-cut/