turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosting trees

Started by NappinUnderTrees, March 11, 2014, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NappinUnderTrees

So I was out doing some scouting this weekend and came across a good roosting tree. The tree had droppings around it but no feathers. The droppings were found a day after a good 16 hour rain we had also.

So my question is, Can I be fairly certain that this tree has been used already this year even without seeing the signs of plumage?

Nappin

appalachianstruttstopper

I personally have never seen much signs of plumage in roosting areas where I hunt. Most plumage sign around here is in or near dusting sights.

So that being said, droppings from a roost tree is all I ever see. May have roosted there during the 16 hr rain, maybe every night, according to what area you are in, maybe already found you a good spring roosting sight if your birds are not still in their winter pattern.  :z-twocents:

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

northms

Yep, likely an active roost site.

NappinUnderTrees

Thanks for all the input!

FullChoke

What few feathers that a turkey will lose on the roost will likely float well away from the tree with even the slightest breeze. Droppings will go straight to the ground. Also be aware that buzzards roost at night as well and can practically paint the forest floor under a tree with whitewash. Do yourself a favor and sit a ways away from it until dark one evening with binoculars to verify the occupants.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.