turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sling on gun or not?

Started by DirtNap647, February 26, 2022, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacire

I've been using Butler Creek neoprene slings for over 25 years but after watching Steve Rinella on Meat Eater and reading the recommendations here on the forum I new I needed to move up to the next level in my sling department. So I bought two different styles of Quake Claw slings and used them on one hunt, I then gave both of them away. They don't slip but they just felt like a big heavy piece of rubber on my shoulder. If I remember right they weigh in at about 10oz. each, so I'm back using my Butler Creeks and no, I won't be buying the $299.00 Steve Rinella pot call either.  :TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

All my turkey hunting shotguns have slings.  I find it interesting that several here have indicated they detach the sling when getting ready to shoot.  I can't remember an instance where the slings on my guns got in the way at the moment of truth. 

Besides the convenience in lugging the gun around, especially if one walks quite a bit while hunting, one reason I prefer slings on my guns and on the guns of others I hunt with is for safety, if for no other reason.  A properly slung (?) gun is vertical, or nearly so, at all times.  I have seen too many hunters carrying guns without slings become careless about where their guns are pointing. 

Even though I insist that anybody I hunt with not carry a loaded weapon while traveling in the woods, I have almost invariably had some folks get careless at where their guns are pointing, and that possibility seems to be greatly exacerbated when somebody does not have a sling on their gun.  A properly carried/shouldered gun with a sling eliminates that problem almost entirely.   :icon_thumright:

RED NECK

I have a sling for every gun. I have a sling addiction as well and I have occasionly taken them off when sitting, that was something I never did until spring of 2006 and when I started hunting with a new buddy and he has done it since he was a kid. I only detach it the odd time if I am in thick slash,so I don't get hung up.

I honestly carry my shotgun in my left hand on top of where barrel begins about 90% of the time I rarely use my sling unless I need it.It's there just in case.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Spring Creek Calls

I always remove mine unless the bird is right on top of me when I sit down. Just another moving part to be seen or get hung up on something. The removal habit started many years ago in a duck blind.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Jimspur

Always remove the sling when setting up unless the bird is right on
top of me.

WV Flopper

I ran the Butler Creek slings for many years and really like the way they feel. They do slid more than the heavy rubber claw slings, but not much. My primary reason for switching from Butler Creek was I would wear a sling out 1.5 season of turkey hunting. You could see through the stitching and neoprene at the point where the sling attached to the gun.
The Butler Creek slings actually made my 10#+ gun feel lighter, just not durable.
I am glad some of you have never had an issue at setup with the sling hanging up on your knee, specially if you need to switch shoulders or if the belly of the sling swinging has never spooked a turkey for you. You have been lucky or not have set up on that many turkeys, pick one. The sling will spook a turkey for you sooner or later.

strum

Mostly I take mine off at set up but i have killed both ways. Its all about whether I'm going to stay put for a while or on the move.

Sixes

I keep Butler Creek on all my shotguns and rifles. I've seen no reason to change them

I've never taken a sling off while hunting and never understood why people take them off, as far as I can remember, I've never had a sling cost me a shot at a turkey nor a deer

jordanz7935

I use slings on all my turkey guns. butler creek padded and just a standard 1&1/4" strap sling. I generally like to take my sling off when i get set up though.

Tail Feathers

I have Claw slings on my turkey guns and leave 'em there even when shooting.  If the set up may need it, I take the front loose and let it lay.  I may look into a lighter sling this year, especially for the single shot.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

roberthyman14

I leave mine on.  Tightened  up when setup.  It actually helps keep the gun put when I'm balancing it on my knee while running a call

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Tom007

I have the Claw on my deer gun, but All my Turkey guns have Vero Vellini slings. They never slip, are padded, and light weight. They come in wide widths too. Haven't found any sling that compares in comfort and weight. I have some that are 20 years old that look like they came out of the package....
"Solo hunter"

Crghss

Always used a sling, never been a problem. Didn't know it could be a problem til reading this thread.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

WildTigerTrout

All my turkey guns have slings. When using the Super Sling 2 models I leave them attached and just tighten them up so they do not move.  When using my "Claw or Vero Vellini slings I remove them from the front swivel stud but leave the rear attached and then I place the sling behind me.  I don't want anything loose moving around at a critical moment.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Tom007

I want to let all my forum friends know about something regarding carrying shotguns on your shoulder. With the advent of short barrels, all the way down to 18.5, please realize that when you use a sling, if you do not pay attention to the angle of your gun, the barrel can point dangerously toward your head. I know it sounds strange, but trust me, I've seen it. Just something to be mindful of. I sure want all of us to be safe, return home to our loved ones with a nice gobbler......be safe...
"Solo hunter"