News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting in the rain

Started by Birdyblaster, April 03, 2015, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgm1955

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 04, 2015, 10:41:28 PM
Quote from: zelmo1 on April 04, 2015, 07:41:57 AM...A heavy rain and or thunderstorm will push the into the woods...

In my parts, it's the exact opposite.  Turkeys head for wide open fields when it pours.  Actually, they head for wide open fields even when it's not raining.  ;)
:icon_thumright:

Birdyblaster

We only get a week in IL so I really need to make it count.

hoyt

Open fields and woods roads when it's raining.

Scout24

We've shot several in heavy rain with the kids sitting fields in the blind with decoys out. Our birds head for fields or open areas in the rain and especially plowed fields. With 2 days of Youth Season we deal with the weather we get. If there's anything less appealing than a rain soaked dead turkey photo, I don't know what it is. My son shot his first longbeard in the rain when he was 8 years old and I spent an hour with towels and a blow dryer just to take that special photo that we'll treasure forever.

shaman

We were talking about the biggest turkeys we'd ever shot a while back.   I mentioned that I'd shot a 24.5 lb gob a few years ago and was weighing it just as the clouds opened up and poured rain.  When I came back out a half-hour later the scale showed close to 30 lbs.  The bird had been hanging upside down and the rain had soaked the bird deeply instead of sloughing off the feathers.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

TRG3

The forecast for this week in southern Illinois calls for rain every day. Having broken my ankle and on a walker, this meant limited access and probably some help in getting all of my gear to the set-up spot. Thankfully, my wife "volunteered" to head out the door at 5:30 this morning for the 15 minute drive to the 20 acre picked soy bean field I could hunt considering my condition. The walker and I made it just fine across the picked soy bean field, although at rather leisure pace. After setting up the Pretty Boy, breeding-position hen, and feeding hen in a light sprinkle, my wife return some 200 yards to the truck to read and snooze. At 7:30, a gobbler that had initially been some 300 yards away 30 minutes ago just had to investigate my Primos gobble tube and, at 25 yards, a handload of #5 allows him now to rest comfortably in my refrigerator. I'm not a fan of pop-up blinds because they limit my visibility and, at least the couple that I have, are a pain/noisy to set up. Yes, they do keep you dry and you can move around with ease, but I'd rather wear my camo Frogg-Toggs and sit in my ground lounger in any weather, including not only rain but snow. This is a minority opinion among my deer/turkey hunting buddies, I might add. So...to each his own. Just remember that rain, snow, etc. is a natural part of a turkey's life. They'll be out there somewhere and it's up to us to figure out where they are and how to lure them in. Best of hunting!

Dr Juice

Hunt the fields in a blind and stay dry. In addition, use a couple of deeks. I recommend a strutting jake and at least one hen. Good luck and keep us posted.

sixbird

I'm not a huge fan of hunting in the rain but I do...I killed a gobbling bird (who had another gobbler with him) in a thunder and lightning storm. It was pouring so hard that when I put up my scoped shotgun, I couldn't see him at 20 yds. Took me three attempts at mounting the gun and putting it down again before I could make out the dull white dot that was his head through the scope. Man, I shot and couldn't get out of there fast enough! The storm had crept up on me and was suddenly full lightning and pouring rain before I could move! that was an "experience!"

mikejd

I have seen birds still on the rooste at 10 am on rainy days. But if you can get to a field as soon as the rain breaks they will be out drying there feathers. even if the break in the rain is only for a few hours.

Bowguy

Rain around here is common during turkey season. I agree w the heading out to fields once the rain stops. At my old house theyd cram into the horseshoe pits in the yard trying to get somewhere dry. If it thunderstorms unless you're having a heart attack you should be out there immediately after. Thunder all night makes the birds go nuts come morning.

Shaky Jake

I don't mind rain but wind is another story. Tomorrow is opening day in NJ and the forecast is heavy rain, thunder and 15-25 mph wind. I'm probably gonna hold off until Tuesday.

TRG3

It's now the Illinois third season and there's only three days left. Broken ankle or not, I'll put the big black garbage bag over the boot (I'm able to leave the walker at home now- two Walmart plastic bags, the big black bag, all covered with a portion of a blue jean leg to take the abuse and duck taped in position) and make my way some 300 yards from the truck to my set up spot. Come rain or shine, I plan to be out there since I can't shoot anything from my couch, even though it's a much more comfortable and dry place. I won't be taking my Remington 1889 hammer double barrel, however, but will take the Remington 870 instead. Maybe when the Illinois fifth season rolls around it will be dryer...and the buffalo gnats will have disappeared!

maytom

Like some of the other posters here, I am no fan of the Rain either. High winds or Rain, and I am fast asleep in my bed!! :gobble:

mbecnel

It's seems that most say head for open fields when raining or just after. What if there's not much open areas? Roads / Trails?

BABS9

If I'm hunting in the rain I leave all my friction calls at home. Only call i bring are mouth calls. Hunt field edges or just inside them.  Always been told heavy rain effects turkeys vision and hearing which is why fields are good.