turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey decoys

Started by SCGobbler, May 13, 2013, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYKLR

I agree with the majority. DSDs are they way to go. I've had all kinds of decoys over the years but you cant beat the DSDs. 2 years ago I bought the flock and this year I bought the strutter. By far the best on the market. They are priced high but they could be priced higher for what realism you get. They are well worth the money.

sixbird

Well, I bought a DSD hen this year because I had Cabelas points that I had no other use for. Previously I used Featherflex...To be honest, DSD looks incredible and the birds seemed to be less confused and more relaxed or aggressive according to the situation, BUT I don't know that any bird did anything with the DSD that they didn't with the Featherflex regarding giving me a shot or not...Gobblers came in and were completely fooled but I've seen that with my foam decoys. Hens seemed more convinced and aggressive with the DSD...
I guess what I'm saying is, for the money, if that's a consideration, I don't know that the extra $ produce any benefit above the foamies...
That said, I like the DSD (more for the hen reaction than anything) and will continue to use it...I get some amount of satisfaction from using high quality equipment...

eddie234

I think the purpose of a decoy is to get the gobbler that is hung up at 50 or 60 yards to come in to the desired 40 yards. IMO I don't think he can tell the difference between the expensive ones or the cheap ones out at that distance. I think the colors matter more.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

sixbird

Quote from: eddie234 on May 27, 2013, 01:10:34 PM
I think the purpose of a decoy is to get the gobbler that is hung up at 50 or 60 yards to come in to the desired 40 yards. IMO I don't think he can tell the difference between the expensive ones or the cheap ones out at that distance. I think the colors matter more.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

I've thought that same thing in regard to what they see from a distance. I've been 80 or 90 yds. from the "foamies" and I don't know that I could tell much as far as detail is concerned...My thought is when they hang up it's because there's no movement...

turkeyfeathers

Hunted over foam all my years. This years birds strutted circles around hen n jake decoy.  As far as why I use decoys: gives bird something to focus on so I can get shot off.

Hooks' n' Beards'

when i use them,i like the b-mobile with a real tail fan...seems to have worked fine for me over the years...

matchbook454

I'd recommend asking this question on another forum as the moderators here will delete your post if you mention a product that isn't from one of their sponsors! 

30_06

Quote from: matchbook454 on January 25, 2014, 11:32:27 AM
I'd recommend asking this question on another forum as the moderators here will delete your post if you mention a product that isn't from one of their sponsors!

LOL you do realize the op is almost a year old right?

bamagtrdude

Ok, I can tell already my answer is going to be a minority answer - but, I'd say - hunt w/the Feather Flex dekes you already have.  Stuff some towels or something up in them right now, and leave them out for several days to "puff" them back out & reduce the creases in them.  What I do with mine is wad up a bunch of paper towel, and shove it up into the neck area of both decoys, hen & jake, to make their heads "stand up"; I do the same on their tail areas, to make their tails "stick out".  When I set mine out on the stakes, they "pop" right into position & stay there.

I recently re-painted my jake to get the colors to really pop out - you can check my video out here: http://youtu.be/8NZd0KdCjxQ

For 15 years now, gobblers have torn this jake decoy a new one, year over year over year.  Are the more realistic-looking decoys "better" - probably so, but ...  You can make that purchasing decision later on; what you have right now will work.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

sixbird

I know this thread is old but thought I'd add for anyone still thinking about decoys...A friend has some old "foamies" that never did have "correct" color. He's a pretty utilitarian type of guy and he stores his old "foamies" in the bottom of his hamper by the look of them. They're flat and bent in a curve when he stakes them. I always worried that, since they were right next to my "foamies" that I was so anal about, that by comparison, the birds would figure out that something wasn't quite "kosher." Didn't make a wit of difference...Birds came into them, flat and curved and wrong color and all...I've had gobblers strut, one wing down, falling all over themselves, for an old "foamie" laying on the ground...I don't think it's that critical. I do think that the high end decoys will hold a birds' interest longer but getting them in range? I don't see a huge difference...

bamagtrdude

Sixbird: To your point, check this out: http://youtu.be/G2ycn5spTR4

These are my 15 year old "foamies"; got 'em all in range & didn't bother them one bit...  :)  Over the years, I've had hens, gobblers, coyotes - you name it - circle around my foamies and not spook one bit...
---

stinkpickle

Toms really seem to like my old Feather Flex...the one with the big blue head.  She and one of those cheap Walmart rubber feeding hens were realistic enough to keep live hens around for 30 minutes, or so, on several occasions this year.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 15, 2014, 03:20:40 PM
Toms really seem to like my old Feather Flex...the one with the big blue head.  She and one of those cheap Walmart rubber feeding hens were realistic enough to keep live hens around for 30 minutes, or so, on several occasions this year.

I've seen the same thing.
---

d.winsor

Did you try a hair drier on high heat with your decoys, a little heat may put them in shape.

firstflight111

And you do not have to spend over 20 dollars on a decoy ,I have and will keep running sceery outdoor  decoys .there like 17.00 dollars best decoys ever, I have shot big monster toms every year over them for the past 10 years . No one or nothing ,will change that unless I cant find them anymore  ..

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED