turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet call question for the experts

Started by chcltlabz, April 05, 2011, 12:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

I have a question I think you folks can help me out with.  I've been thinking about picking up a trumpet call.  My question is, are they easier to operate than a wingbone call?  I can make some turkey like sounds on a wingbone, but nothing I'd consider using in the woods.

I'm always looking for something that everyone else isn't using.

Thanks
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

pappy

the secret is consistency ..either in the wing bone or a trumpet. The trumpet call's advantage is that it can be made to specific dimensions for creating sounds that the customer is looking for. But all in all, it takes practice and determination to master either call.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

VanHelden Game Calls

I think a trumpet is much easier to run then a wingbone. 

1st is the bore of the mouthpiece.  It is designed to hit the notes.

2nd would be the outer profile of the M.P.  Again designed to fit comfortably and to produce consistency.

3rd.  Because of 1 and 2 the lip stops are more consistent and tunable.

4th limitations of the bones are not limitations to trumpets.  So design and playability of the trumpet is better.

I think the history of air callers shows the evolution in refinement.

neal

If you  can run a wingbone you'll do great on a trumpet, if your looking for one a buddy of mine builds them he won the Turpin award at nationals this year its one of the easiest running trumpets I own.

merocustomcalls.com
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.