Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s 2023 Story Thread - Embellishments Encouraged

Started by Delmar ODonnell, March 17, 2023, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_jabbo

What an awesome trip Pok and some great stories with great birds. Congratulations

The youth day with Zsully is one that I won't soon forget!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

POk3s

Thanks guys. What a fantastic trip! I made it home a couple days before I was supposed to. Man, I wish I was still hunting turkeys!! It's odd to go from constant thoughts, game planning, early mornings, late nights to just relaxing for a few days.

I'll be following along on all your guys's hunts for a couple weeks. I think the next time I'll be out will be may 13th weekend. Headed for mountain merriams then. I'm certain I won't be able to increase my score on that trip but just happy I could help the team out this year on a high scoring bird, in this just for fun contest.

Delmar ODonnell

Congratulations Trent and Sully! I'm sure that dent in your truck will just bring back fond memories till you get it fixed ;)

My 3 best friends and I took a trip to South Georgia this past weekend. The terrain was unlike anything I have previously hunted, consisting of planted pines, unpenetrable briars in some places, and peanut and cotton fields. On Friday, our first day to hunt, we got on a bird early but spent the rest of the day burning boot leather, to no avail. I was having a great time with my friends, but I had little confidence of finding success in the day in a half we had left to hunt. I am so glad to have been proven wrong.

Saturday morning, myself, my friend Colin, and our host Warren went to a property with a small woodlot, the rest being open field. We were greeted with a gobble from the small woodlot, and the three of us set up on the field edge. One hen pitched down 100 yards away in the field, but she was silent. He hit the call hard, and soon a hen roosted with him joined the chorus. I stood on him fairly hard, and after a few minutes of silence, out of my left eye I catch him sailing over our heads at 15 yards. He had pitched over 100 yards through the woods, and his feet hit the dirt 25 yards in front of us. I told, Colin, who has never killed a turkey, that it was a gobbler and to shoot. He obliged. As we were celebrating, a second gobbler, previously silent (or they had taken turns) sailed on the same path as the first, landed beside the first gobbler, and with my third shot (thank God) I completed the double. Colin's first bird turned out to be a triple beard with 1.25 spurs; mine a 15 pounder with a paintbrush and matching spurs. I'd be remissed if I didn't mention the dark wings and body of those turkeys further South.

That same time, on another property, my other two friends had one come in gobbling down the gun barrel, and my friend Jackson was able to claim his first Georgia Gobbler. My friend Blake found success at 3:00 that afternoon. It was an another amazing trip with friends I would die for. I love hunting new terrain and environments, and South Georgia certainly provided that.

twyatt

Man once again, fantastic story and pictures!  Congratulations to you and your friends!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Delmar, great season, great read and fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing, Congrats again!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zsully

Delmar!!!!!!! Talk about a dream season!!! Straight on fire!

POk3s

Man what a great time that looks to be!! You just gotta love it when it all comes together like that!

a_jabbo

DEL!!!!!!! You're having an amazing season. I feel like last year was incredible too. So many great stories. I'm 100% jealous. Great stories, and great pics my friend. Congrats.

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING stuff, Delmar !!!!!

Congrats to all of yinz !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Meleagris gallopavo

The worm turned for me yesterday.

Friday I was texting with twyatt after he tagged out in VA.  I told him I was having a sucky year, mainly because I skipped most of the first week of hunting season.  I killed a gobbler (and boy did he gobble) on the second Saturday of the season in NC, but his size, spurs and beard left him unworthy of scoring IMO.  I asked my nephew in NC where would be a good place to go yesterday and he told me about a piece of property my hunt club leases that hadn't been hunted and  I had a forehead slap moment because I think to myself all deer season that it would be a great place to hunt and should hold turkeys.  So I went there Saturday morning.  I got there about 20 minutes before shooting time and set up in a point that juts out in a field across the field to where I thought the turkeys should roost.  So I set out my 2 decoys in front of a hole in the cover and set myself back so that I was about 30-yards from the decoys.  I was satisfied with myself that I was right when they started gobbling.  There were about 4 birds that I could hear, so I announced to them where I was with a few yelps and waited.  When the gobbling all stopped I figured they had flown down.  After about 30 minutes I saw 2 black dots heading my way from across the field.  After they were closer I looked at them through my binocs and they were still too far off to tell what they were.  After a few minutes I could tell they both had beards.  I didn't see the need to call so I just let them come on in.  When they were circling my jake decoy I decided which one was biggest, aimed my 301 .410 and pulled the trigger.  CLICK!  I broke the gun open to find the primer dented well but the shell didn't discharge.  The turkeys were so preoccupied with the decoy they didn't detect me loading another shell and I shot the biggest one.  His buddy didn't leave and I watched him for about 10 minutes and took a photo of him at 7:15.  Then I went to VA to find another. But that's a different, but much more exciting story.  Here's the one I passed up. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

harleytom

Congrats! It's amazing how focused they get at times. Way to keep your cool under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats Meleagris, great recovery on the dead shell and real nice Tom. Was it a reload? Gun not closed hard enough??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr