Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oldest or most interesting banded birds.

Started by chrisun, February 07, 2012, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisun

Let's hear about your most interesting or oldest banded birds.

I shot 2 banded geese from northern Quebec in the 2011 season and they were both over 12 years old. The bands were almost worn through. I was surprised they were that old.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Swamprunner

When I was doing a bunch of hunting in AR in the late 90's, we kept up with all of the bands shot in our group. We went a full year without one (avg3-4/yr).  The next year we killed 14 with 4 in one day.

savduck

I shot a female goose in our early season that was 13 years old. We killed 8 federal banded geese that year. Most of all the others were under 3 years of age.
Georgia Boy

chcltlabz

In 2007, 2008 and 2009 I killed one banded goose each year that were all banded on the same day in the same location.  They were killed within a mile of where they were banded, but they were all banded in 2002, which made them all at least 5 years old.

We killed a pair of blackducks in Long Island that were both banded, one with a $100 reward band.  They came in as a pair, but were banded very far apart and on different years.

I grew up near Linesville, PA and they band a lot of ducks there on the refuge.  I've shot 3 banded mallards from there.  Interesting part is I only shot 1 of those birds while I was living at home.  1 of them I shot here in Maryland hundreds of miles from Linesville, and 1 I shot just north of me in PA, but still hundreds of miles from Linesville.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.