North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ocellated?

Started by guesswho, February 04, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you consider the Occelated "turkey" a turkey?

Yes
23 (71.9%)
No
9 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

guesswho

Biologists and turkey experts say an Occelated "turkey" is a turkey.  I'm just curious as to what most turkey hunters think.   When you think of turkey hunting does shooting a Peacock looking bird off it's roost ever cross your mind.  Is it something you hope to do one day if you haven't already?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

sugarray

I hunt turkeys to hear gobbling.  If it's not going to gobble, then I don't think I'll ever hunt one.  Let alone shoot it off its roost.

guesswho

I admit the body is shaped like a turkey.   Take the warts off it's head, re-color the head, re-feather it with an Easterns feathers, add a beard, shorten the spurs, an add a gobble you might convince me to go hunt one.  But until then I think I'll pass.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

They have a vocabulary that can learned. I believe Dr Lovett has called them up strutting.

OLE RASPY

Im going to hunt them in the near future.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I believe more progressive tactics for hunting them are being developed.  Hopefully roost shooting will become obsolete.

That being said, I want to kill too many big game species and too many of the 4 sub us turkey subspecies to spend that kind of money chasing a spurred peacock.

redarrow

Yes I do,but I think they look more like something that would happen after Liberace had sex with a guinea hen.

njdevilsb

Quote from: guesswho on February 04, 2012, 08:42:27 PM
I admit the body is shaped like a turkey.   Take the warts off it's head, re-color the head, re-feather it with an Easterns feathers, add a beard, shorten the spurs, an add a gobble you might convince me to go hunt one.  But until then I think I'll pass.

That's all?   ;D 

My thoughts exactly.

I can't ever see myself wanting to hunt them.  Once I get my Grand Slam, I think I'll be happy.

drenalinld

You ain't right, Red. Lol

ddturkeyhunter

I would like to some day but don't know if I could ever afford to, maybe if I win the lottery, I guess I better start playing but I am to cheep to. I will just have to dream about it that doesn't cost anything.

Shotgun

Not on my hit list any time in the near futer, but im not saying if my work has me in mexico during season I wont kill 1 or 5.

woodchip

I'd love to hunt one, but doubt if I'll ever get to.  I'd pick a goulds hunt over the ocellated.

GSLAM95

Ocellated turkey hunting has come a long way.  I bow hunted the Ocellated in 2009 and not one bird from any hunter in camp was shot out of a tree.  I killed 3 Tom's by setting up in their travel corridors to and from the feeding areas.  The first bird I shot was whistled in by my guide Mito as the small flock started to skirt our set up, my first outing proved to me they can be called!
The area I was in had agricultural fields surrounded by dense jungle. 
The birds have a different vocabulary and to see a Tom perform a hatchet chopping action with their wing while dancing in a circle strutting around his ladies is a spectacle unlike what we are used to seeing.
I once thought like a lot of the comments I have read in this thread and told myself it was not for me as I was satisfied in hunting only the subspecies that gobbled.  Years later I bit the bullet, saved up and went and must say it was an awesome hunt, much different than I expected and in a very historical part of the world that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.  There is a lot of different wildlife in the Yucatan and the Ocellated turkey was one that was very abundant where I visited.     

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: woodchip on February 04, 2012, 10:33:57 PMI'd pick a goulds hunt over the ocellated.
While they have changed up the way to hunt occelateds, and respectable guides and hunters don't roost shoot them anymore, I still have absolutely no interest in an occelated. I've got my Slam, wanna get more, and one day up it to the Royal Slam with a Goulds hunt.

runngun

You dadgum right I would hunt them. Maybe one day.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.