OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mans best friend

Started by savduck, December 21, 2011, 06:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Im a die hard waterfowler, but it got kicked up a notch when i started hunting with my best hunting partner. He never turns me down and is ready to go when I walk out the door. Weve been hunting partners for almost 8 years. I dont think i will ever hunt without a dog again after owning this one. Lets have a tribute to our best hunting buddy.

Cody's First Hunt

Georgia Boy

drenalinld

Great looking partner right there!

misfire

Good looking pup Del. I too can not stand to hunt without Stonewall.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

drenalinld

I have started raising two different chocolate lab male pups for hunting dogs and both times give them to friends because I didn't have the time to spend with them. My job is less time consuming now, but little kids are more time consuming so I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. I sure do want to raise a hunting partner.

This is a pic of my buddy's 14 year old female black lab. She has retrieved a ton of ducks. She put in at least six seasons with him while he was professionally guiding in Stuttgart. He just can't leave her at home because she gets so excited when he starts loading the truck. You can see the gray on her muzzle.

MDbowman

Great idea for a thread. I will be sure ton contribut once my primary pic hosting site is back up - closed until 1 Jan WTH is that??? Nice pics so far!

misfire

14???? Dang, she looks great. What I wouldnt give to have Stonewall with me for that long

www.misfiregamecalls.net

drenalinld

We keep thinking her hips will fail her, but she keeps on going!

Del, I just noticed the bling on that woodie in the last pic! That is SWEET!

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on December 27, 2011, 04:56:37 PM
We keep thinking her hips will fail her, but she keeps on going!

Del, I just noticed the bling on that woodie in the last pic! That is SWEET!

That was his first hunt. He was 7 months old.
Georgia Boy

jarbo03

Unfortunately I have had to put down two of my hunting buddies in the last two years. First was my choc. lab Moose in summer 2010.  This past July my britt Buck passed.  Both will be remembered forever, they are the ones who buried the hatchet in my addiction for bird dogs.

jarbo03

To help with losing my lab and my britt, last February I brought home my first irehaired Pointing Griffon.  He has been a joy so far and is doing great for his first year.

savduck

Georgia Boy

jarbo03

Thanks creek, I am pretty proud of him myself.  He looked cooler before the season when his facial hair wasn't worn off.  Great looking black you have savduck, he has the head and bodystyle I really like in labs, you can't go wrong with them, and they handle pressure during training better than the griffs, won't hear me complaining though.

savduck

A good dog is hard to beat. I will miss mine when the time comes.

Jarbo....the ironic thing is I decided to get this dog while on a hunt with his mother in Kansas. My dogs mom was a big chocolate, same head and tempermant, but she had the big otter tail. Very steady. I used to hunt near Neosha/ Big Carters Island a few years back when I could travel some. My buddy told me he was gonna have one more litter from Brownie while we were standing on ice in the timber killing greenheads. He breed her to General 5 star Patton. Cody has been a fine dog. Very steady and has great blind manners. He is losing his hearing in one ear, and is having trouble taking signals now, but a fine meat dog none the less.
Georgia Boy

misfire

This was my baby, Traveller. She retrieved the first duck I ever killed, as well as my first goose. I still shed an occasional tear for her

This is Stonewall. Best mannered hunting companion I have ever had the pleasure of sharing a blind with. He has retrieved ducks, geese, doves and quail

www.misfiregamecalls.net

savduck

Lee,  Im a little disappointed you didnt share the story of Stonewall and your double banded mallard. That is a story and picture very worthy of this post. He sure is a good looking boy.
Georgia Boy